17) Done over

"Alright, John, there's only one man guarding the house. What's troubling you?" Tommy asks, as the eldest four siblings and their aunt settle down in the snug.

"Polly," John says, looking to his aunt, "you know what it's been like since Martha died."

"God takes the best first." Polly replies, placing her hand over his.

"Truth is, my kids have been running bloody rings around me. Running barefoot with the dogs until all hours." John admits, fiddling with his cap which rested on the table.

"Pol, give him ten bob for some shoes. Is that it, John?" Tommy states.

"Tommy, maybe we'd be better off doing this without you," Polly warns, and he sighs, chucking his packet of matches on the windowsill by where he stood.

"What's your point, John?" Kezia asks.

"What the kids need is a mother. So that's why I'm getting married." John tells them.

"Does this poor girl know you're going to marry her?" Polly questions, "or are you going to spring it on her all of a sudden?"

"I've already proposed and she...she said yes." John answers.

"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang." Tommy states, lighting his cigarette.

"I-it's Lizzie Stark." John says, taking a sip from his beer as his family start laughing.

"Are- are you being serious?" Kezia questions, through her fits of laughter, as Arthur falls forward cackling, pounding his fist against the leather of the chair.

"Course I'm being bloody serious," John glares

"John, Lizzie is a strong woman and I'm sure she provides a fine service for her customers-" Polly starts but is interrupted by her nephew, "I won't hear that word. Understand? Do not use that word."

"What word is that, John?" Tommy sighs.

"You know what word that is." John replies.

"Everybody bloody knows." Arthur chuckles.

"Well, everybody can go to hell." John states.

"You've had some seriously stupid ideas, but I think this wins top spot," Kezia shrugs, "she's a prostitute, John."

"I don't think that's the right word," Tommy tuts, glancing at his younger brother, "she's a whore."

"Right, I want it known. If anyone calls her a whore again, I will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats, and blow the word back down into their hearts." John threatens.

"Men and their cocks never cease to amaze me. John, Lizzie Stark never did a days work vertical." Polly says.

"She's changed .All right." John exclaims, banging his hand on the table, and standing up, "people change... l-like with religion."

"Lizzie Stark has got religion, eh?" Tommy replies.

"No. No, she doesn't have religion. But- but she loves me." John insists, before turning to his elder brother, "now listen, Tommy. I won't do it without your blessing. But of all the people in the world, I want you to see it as... to see it as brave."

"Oh it's brave alright." Arthur comments.

"Brave is going where no man has gone before. And with Lizzie Stark, John that is really not what you'll be doing." Polly adds, snickering along with Arthur and Kez.

"Please, welcome her to the family. As someone who's had a hard life. Alright? Because I need someone. The kids need someone." John pleads with Tommy.

"But does it have to be a prostitute?" Kezia asks