42) The Bar

"Fucking hell it's dark in here," Kezia grumbles, as the group of women enter the bar, barely any lights except for dim lamps on tables and wall lights above the band on stage, and behind the counter.

"Russell is working, follow me," Veronica says, leading the women over to the bar, specifically to one barman who was leaning on the back wall, his sleeves rolled to his elbows and twirling a toothpick between his teeth.

"Ronnie, how you doing?" Russell smiles, "what can I get for you and your friends?"

Unsurprisingly, Veronica knew everyone's order, she'd made them often enough stood behind the bar at the Garrison.

"On the house," Russell says.

"Thank you, Russ," Veronica replies, "I appreciate you."

"I know, lovely, your regular table should be free, you know where to go," Russell tells her.

"Aren't you a gem?" Veronica laughs, turning to make her way through the crowd, over to a table in the corner, near to the band.

"This place is lovely," Esmé says, "unusual to me but lovely nonetheless."

"Aren't you glad you came?" Bea teases, glancing up at Kez, who was seemingly scanning over the crowd, looking down at Bea and grumbling, "there is a never ending list of things I would rather be doing."

"I forgot she's a buzzkill, why were we so eager to get her to join us?" Tess laughs, taking a sip from her drink.

"Special treatment?" Veronica suggests, "I've never not been searched on my way in, and we skipped the waiting room. They got one glance at Kez and just let us through."

"So there are some advantages to having Kez around, who would've thought?" Tess jokes.

"People are staring," Kez states, noticing copious amounts of eyes looking in their direction as she rolls herself a cigarette.

"You're infamous, Kez, of course people are staring, just ignore them," Esmé replies, "is there any chance of us getting you on the dance floor tonight?"

"Do I even need to answer that?" Kezia says.

"I reckon we can crack you," Veronica states.

-

The drinks had been flowing for hours, and everyone but Kez had been on the dance floor multiple times. They were all dancing, Kez was sat in the same place puffing on a cigarette when the band began to play, 'You Made Me Love You' by Al Jolson, it was Bea's favourite song.

Kez made eye contact with Bea across the dance floor, her eyes practically pleading with Kez to join them. Kezia hated that she wasn't allowed to touch Bea, she'd gotten so used to it, but this was a new place, and she knew Bea's limits, as much as Kez would thrill in dancing with Bea to this song, she knew that wouldn't happen. She knew the closest she'd get is being beside Bea as it played, and so she'd have to settle for that.

Putting out her cigarette, Kez raises from her chair, crossing the dance floor until she was stood beside Bea, who smiles up at her.

"You cracked," Veronica says, "Bea, you're a miracle worker."

"Like it's hard?" Bea shrugs, her hand discreetly brushing past Kez's, hearing the woman inhale sharply, Bea knew she had an impact on Kez, she didn't however realise that their hands just brushing caused Kez's heart to beat tenfold faster.

The song finished, and the crowd applauded the band, Kez went to walk back to her seat, but was pulled back by Tess, "we've only just got you up here, you're not leaving after one song."