21) Take me seriously!

"Thought I told you to stay inside," Kezia responds.

"Yes, well once the screaming stopped I assumed that rule no longer applied," Beatrice states, "Kez, you can't do shit like this, look at you, you're covered in fucking blood."

"He had it coming," Kezia shrugs, "he shouldn't have spoken to you that way. Don't try and act like it didn't bother you, I saw your fucking face when he was speaking to you."

"Of course it bothered me!" Beatrice exclaims, "what bothered me more is that you didn't listen, I told you to leave it. What if they arrest you for this? What if you get put in prison and they throw away the key? I'd rather have slurs thrown at me than not be able to see you!"

"Bea, I can't stop myself, okay?" Kezia responds, taking a step towards her, "anybody hurts you, anybody speaks to you like he did, I don't give a fuck, any form of logic you think I should have goes out the window. They disrespect you and I'm ready to go to prison for life! It drives me fucking insane."

"How do you think I feel then, Kez? You know this isn't ever how I'd want you to handle a situation, we've had that discussion many times," Beatrice says.

"You're hot when you're mad at me," Kez replies.

"Not the time," Beatrice states, looking at her incredulously, "and I know, we've established that."

"I know there's a part of you that gets a little turned on when I go batshit crazy," Kez whispers, neither of them knew when it happened but they were now stood chest to chest, Kez's hand on Bea's waist.

"You're wrong," Bea says, avoiding making eye contact with the older woman.

"I'm not wrong, we both know I'm not," Kez responds.

"Is it because Grace has told you she gets turned on when you go batshit crazy? Have you gone batshit crazy for her?" Bea argues, removing Kez's hand from her waist and stepping back, glancing around the empty street in case anybody had seen them.

"I love it when you get jealous," Kez laughs.

"You're so infuriating," Beatrice scoffs, "stop fucking laughing at me."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Kez apologises, albeit still laughing softly, "no, I have not and will not lose my shit over Grace."

"No part of you turns any part of me on," Bea lies.

"That's a good joke," Kezia says, continuing to laugh.

"Take me seriously, for fucks sake," Bea states, "I've told you to stop this."

"I have stopped. I understood every word you said. This isn't me trying to get you to tell me you love me," Kezia responds, "I know better by now... this is me trying to get you to tell me I turn you on."

"I'm done with this conversation," Beatrice huffs, turning to walk away from Kez.

"Okay, I'm actually sorry this time, that was too far," Kezia says, softly tugging Bea back towards her, she'd had Bea facing her for entirety of their conversation, Kez didn't want her to see the dead body that was behind Bea.

"It's busy inside, I can't just leave Grace to handle the masses by herself," Bea sighs.

"I think she'd understand you needing a few minutes of fresh air, some time for yourself," Kezia responds.

"Except I'm not by myself, you're here," Beatrice says.

"I am, you never did answer my questions," Kezia shrugs, "you've seen my sister, how is she?"

"Here's a suggestion, you could go and see your sister to found out how she is," Bea retorts.

"I'm not welcome there, and she won't leave to come see me," Kezia says.

"When have you ever cared whether you're welcome somewhere or not?" Bea scoffs.

"It's Ada, Bea, she'd only get more frustrated if Freddie and I got into an argument, it wouldn't good for her or the baby," Kezia states.

"Just don't get into an argument with Freddie," Bea responds.

"I don't start the arguments," Kez defends, "he just hates our family. Please tell me how she is. Is she okay? Is the baby?"

"As far as I'm aware, yes, they're both fine," Beatrice nods.

"Thank you," Kezia says.

-

The pub was dead, it had closed for the general public not that long ago, Kez had seemingly disappeared, they'd assumed she'd taken herself home, she was drunk, struggling to speak at a normal volume, or stand up without wobbling slightly.

It wasn't until the occupants heard a noise from near the lavatories that they thought Kez might still be there. There was a loud thud, and not long after Kezia emerges stumbling,

"What the fuck was that?" Arthur chuckles.

"I tripped," Kez admits.

"Perhaps it's time you thought about going to bed, eh?" Polly suggests.

"I'm fine, Pol," Kezia responds.

"You're not fine, you're a mess," Polly states.

"Well I can't always have it put together," Kez shrugs,  turning to the bar, "Bea, could I have another?"

"No," Bea shakes her head, "you've had enough."

"Come on, Kez, I'll walk you home," Tess says, coming to stand beside her bestfriend,

"I don't need a chaperone," Kezia mumbles.

"Kezia Shelby, you're drunk and you're frustrated, that's never a good combination and you know it, so grab your shit and let's go," Tess states.

"Fine," Kez says pushing herself off of the bar, "I've already got everything."

"Great," Theresa replies, "goodbye everyone, we'll see you tomorrow. Come on, trouble."

"I need to go to the shop," Kez states, following Tess out of the doors, "I left something there."

"Can it not wait until tomorrow?" Tess sighs.

"No, it can't, I need it," Kezia says, already walking in the direction of the blacksmiths rather than her home.

"Okay," Tess says, "but only because I cannot be bothered to convince you otherwise."

"You can't convince me of anything," Kezia replies, and Tess scoffs, "just convinced you to leave the pub, didn't I? You listen to me, Kez, whether you want to admit it or not."

"Sometimes I worry about us," Kez says.

"What'd you mean?" Theresa asks confused.

"Well you have friends that aren't me, and sometimes I worry that you'd choose one of them over me, they're probably less hassle, less danger, it concerns me, if I lost you, Tess, I'd lose the best thing about me. I've lost Ada, I've lost Bea. You're the only one left to keep me sane," Kezia states, her words slurred.

"Kez, I wouldn't pick them over you, you think I'd be here putting up with your shit if I'd rather be with someone else? Don't get me wrong, you are a pain in the arse, you're unpredictable, and you get on my nerves, but you're also like the sister I never had. I need you just as much as you need me," Theresa says, "what do you need from the shop?"

"I need... I can't remember what I need," Kezia replies, "oh well, it can probably wait."

"Pain in the arse," Tess grumbles.