19) Refurbished

"This place is looking great, Kez," Arthur compliments, walking into the betting den, with John and Tommy. They'd cleared out for the morning so that Kezia could move everything in, and re-install the doors.

"Just finishing hanging this door, then I've got one more to go," Kez says.

"Holy fuck," John says, walking over to her, she was installing the door to his office, he places his hand on the wood, "you engraved our initials onto them?"

"They've also all got locks, cash boxes shouldn't be getting stolen from now on," Kezia states, "why would you idiots not have locks?"

"We had locks, they just didn't work," Arthur responds.

"People can still kick down doors with locks, Kez," Tommy points out.

"That's why these have three," Kez states, "one keyhole, three bolts, you turn the key, it gets bolted at the top, middle and bottom."

"You're a genius," Arthur says, hugging his sister and kissing her temple once she steps back from the door.

"It's taken you this long to work that out?" Kezia responds, pulling away from him, reaching into her pocket, dropping a key into each of their hands.

"Let me put this last one up and I'll be out of your way," Kezia says.

"You don't need to leave, Kimber is coming today, he was disappointed he didn't see you at the races, he expects you to be here today," Tommy states, scratching at his jaw.

"What a way to make my day," Kezia retorts, hitching up the door in line with the hinges, "one of you come hold this up."

"Got it," Arthur says, holding the door as Kez screws the nails in.

-

"Miss Shelby," Kimber greets, slightly bowing his head to her, Roberts was stood silently beside him.

"Billy," Kez responds in a condescending tone as if she were talking to a toddler.

"I didn't see you at the races," Kimber states, "saw the rest of your lot, but not you, where did you get off to?"

"I was there, I just prefer to spend my time outside... watching the horses," Kezia replies.

"I've done some research since we last met," Kimber says.

"You have, huh? Anything interesting?" Kezia shrugs, leaning against one of the newly built desks.

Kimber tilts his head slightly, clicking his tongue, "for a blacksmith, you have an awfully extensive criminal record. I'm beginning to think you're more than just their sister, more than just another person with a supposedly intimidating name. Obviously, you're more involved than you like to let on, especially with the way you led the negotiations in the pub. So just where is your place within the hierarchy of this family, Miss Shelby?"

"I just assist wherever, whenever I'm needed. I only took the reins because of my research," Kezia shrugs.

"Your research?" Kimber questions.

"You're easily swayed by women, Kimber, it's a weakness for you, I used that to get us the deal, nothing more, nothing less, we needed the deal, we needed to work with you, you are after all, the best man in the business," Kezia says.

"People don't work with me, they work for me," Kimber corrects.

"Right, of course," Kezia says, as Tommy walks back over to them, John had pulled him aside for a moment.

"Mr Kimber, shall we continue?" Tommy says.

"We heard that the Lees turned you over," Kimber states.

Tommy shrugs, looking around the newly refurbished betting den, "you shouldn't listen to gossip, Mr Kimber. This way."

Kez watches as Kimber and Roberts follow Tommy through the shop and into his office. Polly crosses the den from her office, coming to stand beside Kez.

"Alright, Pol?" Kezia asks, glancing down at her aunt.

"I'm fine, I don't reckon you could say the same," Polly responds, "Ada's no-contact has really got to you, hasn't it?"

"I can't say it's a nice feeling, but I'm fine, Pol," Kezia says.

"You're not, if you want to insist otherwise that's fine. But Finn has done nothing wrong here, so don't you dare miss another one of his game nights," Polly warns.

"I didn't miss a- oh shit," Kezia mumbles, "Pol, I didn't mean to, I was busy getting everything sorted for in here."

"I know you wouldn't have meant to, but you hurt your brother, he was upset that you weren't there, and then the boys just went to the pub, it was only Finn, Bea and I. I'm going to talk to them as-well, it's not okay how they treat Finn," Polly states, "don't get me wrong, it's not the boys that upset Finn, he's given up with them trying to notice him, it was you, you mean the world to that boy and he doesn't want to feel forgotten by you too. You've been distant for a while now, and I don't think you can pass off Ada being the reason for much longer. Whatever you're going through, I sympathise, but this family needs you, Kez."

"I know," Kez nods.

"If you want to talk, you can talk to me. I'll listen, I'll listen for however long you need. I miss you, Kez," Polly sighs.

"I'm right here," Kez whispers.

"No you're not, you might think you are, but your mind is always elsewhere," Polly states, "I'm always only a couple of meters away, Kez, when you're ready to talk, I'm always ready to listen."

Kimber steps out of Tommys office, walking past them he nods his head, "Mrs Gray, Miss Shelby."

Roberts follows a moment later, his head down as he makes his way out of their home. Once the door is shut, all eyes turn to Tommy who is making his way to the front of the shop.

"Gentlemen... and ladies," Tommy says, "I have in my hand a legal betting license. Issued by the board of control. The Shelby family has its first legal racetrack pitch."

Polly squeezes Kez's arm excitedly before bounding to the front of the room to embrace Tommy. Kezia leans against one of the pillars, watching as everyone congratulates Tommy, she smiles slightly.

"It's so loud in here," Finn comments, suddenly appearing at his sister's side.

"Then how about we go someplace else," Kez suggests.

"I like that idea," Finn grins, as his sister places an arm round his shoulders, guiding him out of the betting den, people stepping aside and clearing a path for the siblings.

"Where are those two going?" Arthur asks, as he and Polly watch Kez and Finn walk out of the shop.

"I reckon she's trying to make amends," Polly says.

"Well, she could try to make amends with me, I'm still upset she's got everyone calling me a moustached prick," Arthur grumbles.

-

"We haven't been here since the war was over," Finn says, as Kez helps him onto the second floor of the abandoned house they used to visit. One of the windows had been knocked out, they'd come here, sit on the ledge and talk for hours, it overlooked a pretty view of the fields, it was probably the only appealing view Small Heath had to offer.

"I'm really sorry I missed game night, Finn," Kez apologises, situating herself on the floor, her legs dangling out the window.

"It's okay, you were busy," Finn shrugs.

"It's not okay, I shouldn't ever be too busy for you, Finn, and I won't be, not from now on," Kez states.