29) Bad News

"Miss Shelby," Campbell greets, walking into the blacksmiths.

"Chester, always a pleasure," Kez responds, "what can I do for you?"

"I can't get ahold of your brother," Campbell states, "and I've been made aware that if that's the case, you are the one to speak to, which I found to be a surprise considering you told me you had nothing to do with your family business."

"And I don't," Kezia replies, "Tommy just trusts me to make the right decision and to relay the information back to him correctly, it's nothing to do with the business, I'm a mere messenger. What do you need to tell him?"

"I wouldn't be telling either of you if it didn't benefit me in the long run, your brother has something that can further my career, and to get what I want, I need him alive," Campbell says.

"Someone's after Tommy?" Kezia asks.

"Two Irishmen, they have a meeting with him tonight, midnight, they think he had something to do with a paddy that was shot in a backlane, they want something in return, and once they get it, they plan to kill him," Campbell informs.

"Got it," Kez nods, "you can go now."

"You're more blunt than he is, thought that was almost impossible," Campbell states.

"You only came to relay information, which you've done, you have no more business here, nobody round here likes coppers, you'll scare away clients," Kezia says.

"I'm more surprised you've nothing more to say to me," Campbell says.

"What would I say exactly?" Kezia replies.

"Oh, none of you have worked it out yet," Campbell tuts, "best I keep it to myself then."

"Worked what out?" Kezia asks.

"You'll find out soon enough, good day, Miss Shelby," Campbell smiles, bowing his head slightly before turning on his heel and marching out the shop.

"Shit," Kez exclaims, waiting for Campbell to have got to the end of the road before locking up the shop and rushing home.

It didn't take long until she was storming through the doors of the house, making her way through to the betting den where business seemed busy.

"Kez? What're you doing here? Thought you didn't stop by during business hours?" John questions.

"Extenuating circumstances, where's Tommy?" Kezia says, looking around, trying to spot her older brother.

"He's upstairs, Kez, I don't think you should go up there," John warns.

"Why not?" Kez responds.

"Some people have been saying they saw a woman with him," John tells her, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Right, thanks for the warning," Kezia says, crossing through the busy downstairs, and ascending the staircase, walking up to Tommys door banging on it, "you've got 15 seconds to put some clothes on."

There was movement behind the door, Kez waiting patiently outside until Tommy came to the door with messy hair and an untucked shirt, "what?"

"Is Tess decent?" Kez asks, and he nods.

"Good," Kezia says, pushing Tommy back into his bedroom, stepping inside and closing the door.

"What is going on?" Tommy questions.

"You got a meeting tonight?" Kezia asks.

"Yes, what about it?" Tommy replies, glancing at Theresa, "Kez, you can speak openly, I've told her everything."