18) Painting?

Kezia was exhausted, and she really didn't have the energy to strike up a conversation with whoever had just walked into her blacksmiths causing the bell to ding

She'd had been holed up in her shop for days, since the Lees had attacked she'd been working long shifts crafting new doors, new hinges and latches for the doors, fixing the desks and chairs that had been broken. She was basically re-furnishing the entire betting den by herself.

She was physically exhausted, and mentally drained, she'd basically been alone without human contact for days, she'd promised Tommy it'd all be fixed before Kimber and Roberts came to visit, and it would be, but that didn't mean it wasn't taking a toll on her.

"Kez," Theresa states, "you need to stop."

"No," Kezia responds, not looking up at her friend, "I can't, I need to finish all of this, I don't have much left to do."

"Kez, when did you last eat? Have you stopped to have a drink? Rehydrate?" Tess queries.

"Got a bottle of whiskey right there," Kezia shrugs.

"I meant water, you need water, and you need food, take a break, you're allowed to have a break," Theresa says.

"I'm allowed to do whatever I want, I'm choosing to do this," Kezia replies, "it keeps my mind busy."

"Kezia Shelby, you stop whatever you're doing, and you come with me to eat some dinner," Theresa commands.

Kezia scoffs, "you think that tone will work with me?"

"It's gone nine, Kez," Tess says, "you can't just not eat."

"Liquid dinner," Kez mumbles.

"You also shouldn't drink whilst using sharp tools and furnaces," Theresa remarks, throwing her hands up exasperatedly, "you need to take better care of yourself."

"Tom needs this to be done," Kezia replies.

"Tommy can wait, fuck what he needs to be done," Tess says.

"That's a strange way to talk about your boyfriend," Kezia tuts.

"He's not my boyfriend, not yet anyway," Theresa responds, "also not the point, if you think Tommy wants it done so urgently that he disregards your health, you'd be sorely mistaken. So yes, fuck what he needs done, and come have some food. Don't make me drag you out of here."

"I'm holding a sharp implement, I wouldn't suggest doing that," Kezia says.

"You're impossible sometimes, you know that?" Theresa groans, Kezia doesn't respond.

"Kezia Aubrey Shelby, you stop what you are doing and you come eat some fucking food, and drink some fucking water," Theresa demands firmly, causing Kez to finally look at her, "who told you it's Aubrey?"

"Who do you think?" Theresa says.

"Ah, Casanova Shelby," Kezia remarks, "fine, I'll have some stupid food, what are we eating?"

Theresa smiles gleefully as Kezia stands up, she'd won a battle of wills against Kez, that was an achievement.

"Beef stew, and there's some pineapple upside down cake, or treacle tart," Tess says.

"Why do you have two desserts?" Kezia replies, grabbing her jacket and keys.

"I enjoy baking," Theresa replies, "it's a hobby, but you don't know what those are, do you?"

"I have hobbies," Kez states, putting her jacket on, before holding the door open for Tess.

"Oh really? Name one hobby you have," Tess says, as Kezia locks the door, "and nothing related to work counts as a hobby."

"Fine, I enjoy drinking, that's a hobby of mine," Kezia remarks.

"That's an addiction not a hobby," Theresa scoffs, "so that rules out smoking as well."

"I have hobbies," Kez insists, "they're just private."

"Kez I'm your bestfriend," Tess says.

"You're my only friend," Kez responds.

"Which makes me your bestfriend," Tess states.

"Fine, but you can't tell anyone, not even Tommy," Kez says, "nobody knows and I don't want them to, it's one of the only things I have that is private."

"I swear, Kez, I won't tell a soul," Tess promises.

"You know there's a door in the back room of my shop? It used to be Dwight's private office, I've told everyone he has the key and I wanted to respect his privacy in case he ever comes back," Kezia states, "that's a lie, I have a key, I paint in there."

"You... paint?" Tess repeats, "you're not taking the piss?"

"You asked me for a hobby, I told you a fucking hobby," Kezia says, lighting a cigarette.

"Holy shit, Kez," Tess gasps, "what sort of things do you paint?"

"Whatever comes into my head," Kez shrugs.

"So Bea?" Theresa jokes.

"Oh shut up," Kez mumbles, taking a drag from her cigarette.

"So you do have a 'lover girl' side? Like a proper one? Not just a front to... well, fuck them," Tess states.

"I hate every word of what you have just said," Kezia says, "and no, no I don't. I have a 'Bea' side."

"But Grace said you're different when it's just the two of you," Theresa points out.

"Grace is... there's something off with her," Kezia hums, "I think she imagines we're closer than we are. We slept together once, we've spoken a handful of times, we're acquaintances, I see her as a barmaid more than someone I've, well you know. It's like she's trying to get close to me, but at the same time she wants to keep her distance. It's weird."

"Kez, this might shock you, but most people feel like that towards you," Theresa says.

Kez looks at her confused, "what'd you mean?"

"You attract people, Kez, they are drawn to you, but they've heard stories, they're scared. People want to be close to you, but they're also terrified to approach you. Tommy and I have labelled it the Kez Paradox," Theresa explains, "I think that's what Grace is experiencing."

"The Kez Paradox?" Kezia repeats, "what the actual fuck? First, he tells you my middle name, now you've invented a paradox, I have a feeling this pairing may fuck me off a lot more than first thought."

"We're happy, Kez," Theresa laughs, opening the door to her home, Kez just huffs putting out her cigarette before following Tess inside.