35) Shoot Out

"Morning, Pol," Kezia greets, strolling into the kitchen. Today was the day. It was black star day.

"Your mood has drastically inclined recently, any reason?" Polly asks.

"No, no reason," Kezia says, smiling as she leans against the doorway, ruffling Finns hair as he comes rushing past into the kitchen, "I found the hair pins you were looking for, Pol, sorry for using them to practice my lock picking."

"Little prodigy," Kezia jokes.

"Oh, you want to go there, future little sister?" Finn retorts, hiding behind Polly when Kez pushes herself off the doorway.

"Do not put me in the middle of this, I just want to have my tea," Polly states, as Kez grabs Finn lifting him over her shoulder, and spinning round until Finn began squealing, "stop! I'll be sick all over you! Put me down!"

"Alright, alright, don't be sick on me," Kezia laughs, placing Finn back on the floor, "anyone seen Tommy yet?"

"He's in his office," Polly replies, "he's been awake for a while, everyone but you has, Ada is on her way here, Tommy's been waiting for you before he makes an announcement."

"Ada's coming?" Kezia repeats.

"Yes, she'll be here any minute with Bea, now come on, I don't think Tommy wants to wait much longer," Polly says, ushering Kezia into the betting den.

"Tommy, Kez is up," Polly states, knocking on his office door, which Tommy was quick in opening, stepping out and closing.

"Morning, Kez," Tommy says, "you ready?"

"As I'll ever be," Kez nods, and Tommy walks to the front of the room, gathering everyone's attention.

"Right, I've brought you all here today because this is the day we replace Billy Kimber. This is the day we become respectable. The day we join the official national association of racecourse bookmakers, but first, we do the dirty work. You've all known this day has been coming, I just haven't told anyone the date. We're going to the Worcester races, the track opens at one, we get there at two. Kimber thinks we're going there to help him fight the Lee brothers," Tommy announces, "but thanks to the efforts of our John and his lovely new wife Esmé, the Lees are now our kin. So it's us and the Lees against Kimbers boys, take them out, leave the bookies, I expect a swift victory which will send a signal all the way to London that we believe in letting legitimate businesses run peacefully."

"And what about Kimber himself?" John asks.

"I'll deal with Kimber," Tommy states, "any other questions?"

"Why's Kez here?" Arthur queries, "I thought she wasn't part of this business, I understood Cheltenham, but this is a bit different, don't you think?"

"Arthur, out of the people in this room, who do you trust to offer you the best form of protection?" Tommy responds.

"Fair enough," Arthur nods, "no more questions."

"Anyone else?" Tommy says.

"Yes, does anyone object if I bring a newcomer to this meeting?" Polly asks, albeit it wasn't really a question, she was already heading for the doors.

There were looks of confusion as Polly opens the door, smiles coming onto people's faces when they see Ada walk through, baby in arms, and Bea following.

"I'd like to introduce the newest member of the Shelby clan," Polly states, as Ada heads towards her older sister, who boops her sons nose, before getting her finger held captive by the baby.

"Welcome home, Ada," Tommy greets.

Ada nods softly in his direction, addressing the room, "we named him Karl... after Karl Marx."