𝓔𝓛𝓔𝓥𝓔𝓝

Emalia
I hovered over the numbers chewing and nibbling on my low lip till finally the metallic taste of blood soaked onto my tongue, the bitter taste making me wince with disgust. I had made a mistake, the long decimal of an answer was outrageously different from the 27 everyone in the class had arrived at.

I didn't even have a two anywhere in my answer or a seven. I huffed in annoyance, utterly devastated that I was so incapable of figuring out a ridiculous chemical equation.

Dr. Yu grinned at the class her cheeks bundling up into cute little circles. "Great job, did anyone arrive to something different?" She looked around the class and I looked along with her, hoping someone anyone got something different so they could ask, all I found where shaking heads confirming I was an idiot.

I need to start looking up Youtube tutorials on this, I dropped my head into my hands the urge to cry slight but there.

"You'll be partnering up with someone new for the next semester coming up! Pick wisely because the Final is on Friday and you want someone who can help you succeed not distract you."

Final. Just the mention of it brought literal tears to my eyes that I quickly wiped off. I would have rather fall face first on dog poop then take the test.

I wiped my stinging eyes one last time and skimmed the class hoping to find a good partner yet wanting to save them from the tragedy that would be to partner with me. I knew nothing, if they had a question I would be wondering right along with them.

People begun shuffling and taking their new seat, the number of available partners dwindling by the second as I sat there with a small frown pulling its way onto my lips as everyone continued passing past me not even glancing my way.

It's ok Emalia. You know they'll probably have a better chance at succeeding in this class without you confusing them more. I nodded my head ignoring the urge to scratch. It was ok. It was nothing to get upset over.

I turned back to the front of the class finding Dr. Yu giving me a sympathetic smile.

I hated it. I hated when others felt bad for me; it made me feel bad for worrying them or ashamed they had something they found sad about me. Growing up I'd received for too much of those looks and disliked them even then.

I plastered on a fake upturn of my lips attempting to reassure her I was perfectly fine. Because I was, overall I was the best I had been in my life, the silly issue of no one wanting to partner up with me was no big deal.

No longer wanting to see her sympathy, I ducked my head back down towards my equation.

My face lightly tinted with embarrassment as I looked between my work and the formula making sure I plugged in the right numbers when the sound of a male voice spoke from behind me " You put all but one of the numbers right you just missed a ten here." His long tan finger touched on a specific part of my scribbled numbers and I immediately realized the problem.

My jaw dropped in shock a soft gasp leaving my lips "Thank you!" I spoke as I got to work reapply the lengthy problem into the calculator till finally I got a twenty seven like the others.

All that work for a twenty-seven. I shook my head, the gratitude of finally being able to solve it equal to my disappointment that the number wasn't more elaborate.

I turned around, to re-thank the genius behind me finding a tall light brown haired boy with the greenest green eyes. "Thank you, again." He smiled down at me, shrinking in height as he slid himself to the seat next to me.

I must've given him a strange look because the next thing I know he's chuckling to himself explaining, "I want to be your lab partner.Is that okay?" A wide genuine smile took over my lips.