Chapter 9: Mercenaries and their bullets

"Alright let's have a look..." Professor Harold Mulberry mutters as he picks up a bullet from Texas' gun. The 4 of them had placed their weapons on a large table in the middle of the armoury, bullets from each of their different guns. Around them the sounds of gunsmithing was heard, the professors assistants and workers manufacturing ammunition of all calibres and dust types in preparation for the initiation of year 1 students just 2 days away. He inspects the bullet twisting and turning it. It was a 7.62x39 MAI AP bullet, it was unlike anything he has ever seen for the bullet did not contain any dust having only metal components and the gunpowder only. He removes the bullet from the casing pouring the gunpowder in a small pile onto a piece of paper.

The bullet was a unique 2 part projectile designed to punch through armour, it was not like any dust based projectiles he had seen. He thought to himself for a moment, just how devastating this bullet would be to aura given its unique properties. "This bullet is advanced...but nothing I can't replicate." He sets it back down onto the table, "I'll need a few samples of each bullet type you need. I should be able to make about...150 each for all the bullets by tomorrow so that you can test them to see if they work." Mulberry stated as he picked up one of the magazines, it was a bright yellow one, a literal banana banana magazine even complete with a sticker from what seemed to be a actual banana just written in some strange language.

"You sure your able to make that many bullets?" Moron asks stressing the that for presented before professor mulberry was a multitude of different calibers from 9mm to Moron's RPG rockets. "Yes, this is child's play. You should see when the year starts. I work my ass off on top of teaching classes. When you have this many students, with this many semblances, with this many weapons all in different weird rare custom calibers...yea you get the pciture." He unloads the magazine, one by one he pulls out armour piercing bullets until there wasn't. The last 10 rounds or so were instead hollow point, hunting calibers modified to fragment when penetrating similar to field modifications used by Atlesian soldiers during the great war otherwise known as dumdum rounds. He understands it now, the high penetration bullets were for punching through aura, through those gaps in the aura before it patches up the hollowpoints go in and embed themselves in peoples flesh. A brutal yet effective way of fighting people.

"Hm...your magazines, which one of you have high penetrating ammo then some flesh rounds at the end?" All 3 mercenaries gave variations of yes to the question, only Akula who ran anything he could get his scav raider hands on did not respond. He wasn't even sure what was inside his magazines, all he knew is that it was 5.45 and that it shot out of his ak enough to kill a person.

"Alright I'll make a proportionate amount for about 10 magazines each. Is there anything else?" He looks at the men, seeing if anything could be fixed or repaired, he spots the rifle Akula had slung around the front of him. "Hey can I see that?" He gestures his hand towards Akula for him to hand the gun to him. "Why?" He asks, one of his eyebrows raised. "I repair weapons as well even though its a student's job to do so. I will for absolutely atrocious weapons and yours..." He puts the rifle onto the table and slides it over to him, Mulberry inspects the rifle, it is old and battered. The varnish on the wood furniture having been long scrubbed off from wear and tear. There was even blood that had soaked into the wood courting it a deep brown-red faded bromine.

"Good oum, this thing is in bad shape..." Akula shrugs at the comment, this isn't bad for scavs, in fact this is good for scavs already, some scav guns are in such bad shape that they jam when anything other than a single pull of the trigger every now and then is performed. He opens the dust cover and by god almighty the internals of the weapon was worn, he estimates this thing has had thousands of bullets fired out of it without a look inside what was inside the dust cover. Yet at the same time he admired the capability of this weapon to function even in its current state, the design was simple yet effective. Whoever designed this gun whether him or another man must be proud of his work to produce such a durable weapon.

"I can help clean this thing and refurnish some of the parts. Although you might wanna get the internals checked because this thing is battered to kingdom come..."

"Yea well god knows where that thing came from. Its swaped hands like a dozen times or so I think..."

"I can repair it for you. Give the wood a new coat of varnish, clean all that gunk and dirt out of it."

Akula nods his head and folds his arms, "alright thanks mate." Texas says before gesturing everyone to leave, once everyone leaves Mulberry begins his investigation, these bullets did not have dust using components he had never seen before. He picks up one of the bullets, a black tilled 5.56 round and places it into a machine to see its properties and get a better picture of what it is made of or will do to a person. It was a very handy machine, he used it all the time to scan bullets precisely so that him and his crew of weaponsmiths could properly replicate bullets for students, it even had some ballistic calculations to calculate how effective bullets would be.

The machine scans it and immediately has several components in red, the bullet, gunpowder and balistics. He read further, the bullet could be made but it is seemingly custom made using a unique combination of metals never combined in remnant before most importantly devoid of dust, the gunpowder had a similar case with being able to made just that it was different from remnant standard gunpowder, nothing new, most worrying was the ballistics. The bullets were impeccably fast, faster than what he had seen from the pinnacles of ballistic technology in Atlas. They also ripped aura to shreds being more effective than normal bullets, even stronger auras who could heal fast would just seal a bullet inside of the flesh as it tumbled and tore its way inside. It was even worse for Grimm, the woulds were more devastating and could stop some of the more larger ones with a few bursts.

He didn't know if this was even legal to use on people, the uncesessary pain and suffering these weapons would generate was unimaginable. But a order was a order, he wasn't responsible for that kind of stuff. Working on things began to worry him even more though, the white shotgun slugs filled with razor sharp flechettes in particular had a brutal concept to them.