Chapter 23: For What The Future Holds

"Anddd that's a 12th Grimm salmon of the day..." Akula utters in disbelief ripping the salmon shaped Grimm out of its hook and into a bucket where the fish just turns to nothing disintegrating into thin air. Since the last time semester break had begun and all the students had gone home or were enjoying their time off on campus. This left most of the faculty a rest period as well albeit they had to plan out the next semester during this time and some staff had to handle extra classes during the break. Accompanying him was not the tarkov mercenaries but Ozpin himself, Ozpin had been watching and singled out Akula for being one who showed hesitation. So he invited him to talk man to man on a fishing trip.

It was like he was not like the others, fighting himself not to stoop so low yet slipping and falling sometimes. The 2 sat on a wooden jetty protruding out into a river nearby the academy, this section of the forest was used for training usually so the Grimm population was kept down by various huntsmen nearly everyday but just in case the both of them had their weapons of choice by their side. The glow of the morning dawn illuminated their eyes, that bright orange color brought on by the sun rising accompanied by calm cooling winds brought calm to Akula waiting for another fish to bite his rod after he recasted.

"So Akula...why did you come with me exactly?" Ozpin asks calm and collected taking sips from his mug full of black coffee.

"Not sure, I guess I thought it was a good chance to fish again. My father used to fish with me but he got dementia and couldn't anymore." Akula takes his own sip from a thermostat, remnant's equivalent to Milo inside the drink.

"Sorry for your loss...you know I've been observing you- well I've been observing everyone in the group. You stood out. Your not like the others." He states plainly.

"Yes, those 3...they were mercenaries. I'm what they call a scav raider, a better version of a scav which is just short form for scavenger." Akula explained.

"I'm not a madman like they are, not yet at least." He continues on.

"Yet you follow them?"

"I don't know why, I feel like I've been infected by the violence...and also they're the only people that I can relate to the most. We used to be enemies when we first met but I have been able to make peace and befriend them over time in here."

Ozpin scratches his chin analysing what he had just said. Maybe one of the students more interested in human psychology could write a paper on these folk. "Interesting...tell me Akula, where do you come from?" The man finally turns to Akula to face him taking another sip from his coffee mug.

"Well its very different from here, its called earth. There's no Grimm and the whole world has more history than this one. I've read up on your history of remnant, its painfully alien. Too peaceful, like you have only 1 somewhat major war in history." He leans up making the gesture of holding his index finger up and shaking it emphasising the fact there was 1 war.

"Right the great war, a terrible time for remnant." Ozpin states remembering one of his past reincarnations as the king of vale during that very bloody history.

"More like good, if man could only have 1 war in modern history then we would be good already. Earth has had 2 great wars and so many more smaller ones in modern history." He leans back and takes a breath before telling the cold had fact of what man has done to itself in a single conflict, butchering itself beyond comparison to ages before.

"In my country we had this war years ago or the previous incarnation of my country did, 70 something years ago. It was called the great patriotic war, others call it the second world war. Since earth never had any Grimm, humans became the most dangerous creature on earth. In that war 20 million plus men women and children from my country died alone. Every family had family members who died in that war, all of my great uncles and aunts were in the path of the enemy and were exterminated by our great enemy the Germans."