CHAPTER 7

CHAPTER 7

[KULANI]

The air in this house is filled with confusion blended together with severe awkwardness. Nobody knows what to say to the other. Kurhula left before I could stop him. I’m anxious because I’m worried about him. I’m praying that his guides protect him because driving in that state has buried many people. I have been sitting in this room for some time, even the sun is beginning to give up on this day. I need some fresh air. I am going to use the backdoor because I don’t feel like facing the elders on the other side of the house. I step out and find Aunt Lydia on the porch, with a glass of something in hand. She’s gorgeous. That’s one of the first things I’ve noticed about her. She’s a masterpiece of a human being with those sculptured cheeks and that pointy nose. Aunty Fanisa says it’s all surgery. Her doctor must be excellent at what he does if this is true.
‘Did your mother not teach you that staring is rude?’ she says and takes a sip, sitting with one leg on top of the other.
‘Sorry. I was just— I needed some fresh air. I thought I wouldn’t find anybody here’
She continues having her beverage and watching the sunset. Her eyes snitch on her. She’s been crying.
‘Is my boy okay?’ she asks when I’m about to walk past her.
‘I have no idea. His phone is off’
She nods, chewing her teeth. She laughs unexpectedly.
‘You must think you married into a circus’
‘Every family has its own skeletons’ I say. If she knew where I come from, she wouldn’t say this. She’d even judge my background. She pats the chair next to her, offering me a seat.
‘He was fed up’ she states, looking me in the eye. I don’t understand. It’s always best to keep quiet when you have nothing to say. She’s different. By now, she would’ve said some pretty hurtful things.
‘Kurhula has never had the support every boy child needs from both his parents. Maybe that’s why I felt the need to step up as a mother to him but… I don’t think it will ever be enough. Today was the last straw. That damn Xongi is sucking up to the son she abandoned at his expense’
I’m still quiet.
‘In fact, she abandoned them both, for a stupid man! My brother was a piece of shxt that deserved to be cremated and have his ashes drained down a sewage pipe’
‘What do you mean she abandoned them both?’
‘All Kurhula wanted from her was for her to leave his father. He wasn’t afraid to say it. The first time he grabbed that man with his shirt was when Xongi decided that Kurhula was going to be the end of her marriage. I remember her calling me, asking for boarding school recommendations. That’s when I gave up all hope but I was glad Kurhula wouldn’t be there when Eddy finally strangled her to death. He wasn’t going to survive that’
This is weighing my heart down.
‘Why are you telling me all this, aunty?’
She finishes up her drink from her tumbler.
‘I am telling you so you don’t think he’s an animal. He wasn’t for the idea of you coming here because you were a complete stranger, but you arrived. You know what he said when I asked him how felt about this whole thing that night?’ she swallows her smile. I shake my head curiously.
‘Did you see how she looked at me, aunty? She was livid that I was late. That’s what he said’
I laugh.
‘I still don’t understand what fascinates him with your anger or what it means but I’m just happy he’s happy. What you saw this morning… He’s never going to lay a hand on you, I want to promise you that’

When Kurhula’s car comes in, it blocks Fikani’s as he attempts to drive out. Kurhula is stationery for a second before going back out in reverse. Fikani drives out and parks outside the gate and they both leave their cars.
‘Ey man…’ Fikani greets. Kurhula laughs and offers him his hand. They greet each other through a shoulder bump.
‘Now this is weird’ Fikani says and Kurhula laughs once again before he sighs.
‘It’s like looking yourself through a mirror?’ he asks and sits against his bonnet. Fikani nods and joins him. Silence…
‘Leaving already?’
‘Y-yeah. I just came to say goodbye. I was with my mother’s family the whole day so… thought it would be rude to just leave without saying a word, and I was kinda hoping to speak to you’
‘What personal problems were you referring to?’ Kurhula asks.
‘Pardon?’
‘You said the surname issue is—’
‘Oh that’ – he sighs –‘My wife is desperate for a baby, and nothing is happening. I don’t know how many times we’ve tried’
‘Try rooftop doggy’ Kurhula jokes and Fikani bursts in laughter.
‘Yup. You’re just given me the confirmation I needed. Appearance only wasn’t enough’
Kurhula chuckles. ‘What confirmation?’
‘Your head is full of dust. I’ve been accused of that a couple of times’
They both laugh.
‘Have you tried going for some tests?’
‘We’ve tried everything, until I decided to go see a traditional healer when my mother suggested it’
‘That’s where you got this surname thing?’
Fikani nods. ‘And you? Any kids?’
‘Yeah, one boy. Four years old’
Fikani smiles proudly. ‘Oh? Where is he then?’
‘At his maternal grandmother’s house’
‘With the same woman?’ Fikani asks, pointing into the yard.
Kurhula snorts. ‘I wish. We recently got married’
‘How long have you been together?’
Kurhula looks at him, holding back laughter. ‘A couple of days…’
‘Man what? So it’s true? She was arranged for you?’
‘Hawu. You thought that nutcase was joking?’ the smile disappears from the mere thought of Uncle Sol.
‘He could’ve died, you know?’
‘I know. That was reckless of me. He just rubs me up the wrong way’
‘What are you gonna do if he presses charges?’
‘He won’t. This family is too proud. He’s probably going to tell everyone else that he got hit by a car than admit that I beat him up. He’s that type of a person who’d rather die than apologize, that’s how proud he is’
‘We need a day to sit down and talk. I’m gonna come back soon. Now I have to go because I’m already being accused of cheating’
Light laughter leaves Kurhula.
‘You should’ve brought her along’
‘I just felt like it was best to come by myself. I will next time’
He extends his fist and Kurhula sees the shiny scar just above his wrist.
‘What happened here?’ he asks.
‘Ah. Some fool was trying to hijack my car about… five years ago’
‘When exactly was that?’
‘I don’t remember. Why the interest? It was in winter because I remember how he tore my favourite jacket’
Kurhula laughs.
‘I think that’s when my hand stopped working for no particular reason. I was sure that these witches had got me’
‘You lie?!’
‘I’m telling you. It didn’t stop completely but it just wasn’t doing what it was supposed to do, how I wanted it to do it. Welcome home, twin bro’ he says and they exchange a firm handshake. Fikani pulls Kurhula for a hug.
‘I hope you know that I’m not here to take your place?’
‘Ay, I don’t care whether you’re appointed as king or not. I just need you to stay the fvck away from my woman’
Fikani chuckles. ‘You don’t need to worry about me in that department. I am happily married my guy’
‘She tells me she hugged you this morning?’
They laugh. ‘She was sure that I was something that walked out of a paranormal movie’
‘This is hella weird. Imagine discovering you have a twin at this big age?’
‘After Covid, nothing shocks me anymore’