CHAPTER 43

CHAPTER 43

[KULANI]

He knows, and he’s overtly enraged. We are walking to the bedroom and his grip on my hand is tighter than usual. My heart is pounding. The way he is marching down this corridor is forcing me to match his pace. I was really hoping that I would get through to her without his knowledge.  He opens the door with his lower lip tightly locked between his teeth and motions for me to walk in. I do that and he follows after me and I hear the door click as it closes. He clasps his palms together and puts them against his lips.
‘I’m terribly sorry baby’ I go before him.
‘I thought we spoke about this. Did we not?’
‘We did but—’
‘NO BUTS’ he raises his voice and I take a single step back. I see him forcing himself to breathe.
‘Mbilu ya Kurhula…’ he calmly calls.
‘Hubby?’
‘This marriage is not a dictatorship however when I tell you not to do something and we agree that you will not do that particular thing, to me, that discussion is over’
‘I am still saying that the both of you are allowing your egos and arrogance to get in the way of AK’s happiness. I was just trying to help’
‘I have decided that I want sole custody of my son. I don’t want you standing in the way of that. Why did you go above my head??’
‘As I said, I was just trying to help’
‘Did I ever say I needed your help?’
I look at him disbelievingly.
‘No I am being serious. You’re supposed to be on my side. You are MY wife. Umtivela kwihi Nikiwe? Since when are you two friends?’
‘This is not about taking any sides. It’s about Akani. Why don’t you get that?’
‘This is exactly what I’m saying. That woman is my ex. I know her better than you think you could. You can never strike common ground with her. Now she is convinced I’ve sent you to her like you’re my lap dog or some shxt!’
‘Exactly. You two have history, hence the animosity. I have nothing against her. I thought I would be able to get through to her’
‘And then what?’
I am not doing this with him.
‘Don’t you walk away from me while I am talking to you’
I stop in my tracks and turn back.
‘Okay. I am sorry for getting involved when you said I shouldn’t. Can we put this matter to bed now? It won’t happen ag— ahh!’
A sharp pain shoots straight into my tummy and I lose my entire train of thought. What the hell was that? Why do I have a feeling that my mother’s curse continues to destroy my womb?
‘Baby, what’s wrong?’ he asks while holding both my arms as I crouch down. I know this pain all too well. It just reminded me of that day. The day that was supposed to be the happiest of my life but quickly went sour before we can even reach reception.
It’s gone. I try to stand upright and manage to. I’m fine.
‘I’m okay’
‘You can’t say you’re okay after screaming like you’re being stabbed. What’s wrong?’
‘Kurhula?! What’s happening in there?’ That’s Fikani outside the door. His brother sighs with irritation in front of me.
‘Can you give me a moment with my wife?’
‘What the fvck are you doing to her?’
He angrily twists the knob and the door flies open. ‘What could I possibly do? Strangle her? Please respect me man’
Fikani studies the room and his eyes meet with mine. I assure him that I’m okay with a smile. Oddly, I find this heated interaction between them funny. I feel a thick, warmish to hot liquid slide down my private bits.
‘Please excuse me’ I leave them there and go to the bathroom. When I slide my panties down, I am met by grey slimy discharge. Is this an STI? Panic tells me to smell it. It smells… it has a distinct sharp and acidic odour. Is this normal? Maybe it is. I’ve just had a miscarriage. Kurhula knocks on the door.
‘I can tell that you’re not fine. Please open this door baby’
I quickly pull my underwear up and let him in. I don’t want him seeing this.
‘What’s up?’
‘I’m not sure. My discharge is unusual’
‘Unusual how?
I’m still disgusted. I can’t bring myself to describe it.
‘Let me see’
‘What?’ I laugh. He’s serious.
‘No baby man. It’s grey… and… slimy’
‘Yeah let me see’ he insists with a shrug.
‘How will that help? You’re not a medical professional’
‘What are you afraid of? Woman, I’ve spread your inner lips with my damn tongue. Let me see’ he’s now squatting and willing to bring down my underwear. I can’t stop laughing at what he’s just said. He looks up and smiles.
‘Please. Maybe it’s a cause for concern’
I show him and he picks on the discharge with his fingers before I can stop him.
‘Kurhula?!’
‘What?’ he’s smelling it. ‘This pungent smell and the pain you’ve just felt? I don’t know but I think we should go see the doctor baby’
‘We’ll go tomorrow. It’s late now. The sun has set and besides, Mabontle should be arriving any minute now. I want to be home when she does’
He takes out his phone. ‘Your sister can wait. I know that scream. I have PTSD from it. I am not taking any chances’.
PTSD? He’s exaggerating but this makes me stop and think. Ever since we’ve lost our baby, we’ve never had an in-depth conversation that’s centred around him and his feelings. He puts the phone on speaker.
‘Alexa, hi’
‘Advocate Ngobeni. Where’s my title?’ she’s laughing. They sound well affiliated.
‘I’m sorry. Hi Dr Lex. You good?’
‘I’m okay. Just wondering to what do I owe the pleasure after decades of not hearing from you, old friend?’
‘Erh, I need a favour. Are you still running a practice in town?’
‘Yeah. We’ve even expanded our offices now’
‘Nice! Well done Lex!’
She giggles. ‘Thank you. Now speak, I’m running out of patience’
‘I know you’ve probably closed but my wife has an emergency’
I’m still silently listening to this conversation.
‘You’re in luck. I was planning to pack up but I’m still at the office. How fast can you get here?’
‘Can you give me 30?’
‘Sure. You owe me after this! Should I get sued for botching a c-section, God forbid, I’ll be knocking at your chambers’
He chuckles. ‘Well you should know that I can’t personally help you there, unless if you steal medical supplies then sure. Theft is part of my speciality, not negligence’
They both laugh before she lets him know that she’s waiting on us. I need to quickly change out of these clothes and wash these panties before we go. I would’ve preferred my gynae but I appreciate him for this.
I quickly do that and we leave.