CHAPTER 23

CHAPTER 23

[KULANI]

After spending almost all day with Gogo Mkhanyisi, I could feel the morosity I have been carrying around wear off. I haven’t been able to forgive myself for what happened at Kurhula’s office. I’m still hurting over the fact that I could’ve prevented it. I’ve been eating clean and investing in my prayer life a lot more since that day because honestly, I don’t think I’ll ever be the same. My awakening came at the cost of a life and that’s too expensive for me. I love being here because I learn a lot from this woman. She randomly drops pearls of wisdom. I’m done washing the dishes, waiting for her to come back. She killed and cooked a hardbody chicken specially for me when I mentioned that I haven’t had it in a very long time. After we enjoyed the meal with her three boys, she went out – promising to be back shortly. Cleaning up is the least I can do.

She comes back forty minutes later and finds me watching TV. I need to call my driver because it’s getting late. Today has been fun and soul-serving. It was a much-needed day out. I’ve been trying to reach Kurhula but his phone is off. I really hope he hasn’t done anything out of pocket. He promised to behave and I choose to trust that he will. Gogo sits next to me and I lower the volume on the TV. I’ve easily gotten comfortable here like it’s my second home.
‘Can I ask you a question?’ I prod. I’ve been wondering about this and I need someone to make it make sense. She nods with a curious smile on her face.
‘The other day when I was here, you mentioned that we’re all different parts of the body of God. I hope I won’t be overstepping by asking this’
‘Go ahead. Questions are necessary’
‘You mentioned that you read the bible a lot. I came across this other video by this guy, saying something about Africa healing itself, hence the large number of people going to initiation schools. He was basically saying that the bible was a tool for colonization and stuff like that. How do our ancestors still require that it be read if this is true? I’m not saying that it is’ I’m cautious in my speech and she laughs. She sighs and grabs a cushion.
‘That guy might be right, or he might be wrong but the reason that some of us still heavily rely on the Word for guidance is because the people that lead us, died knowing and practicing this gospel. It is the only thing they know. People do not change after they fully transcend into the spiritual world. What I’m simply trying to say is, if your messenger requires you to read and understand the bible, you have to do that whether you believe in it or not’
She’s lost me a bit there. She sees this and shifts closer.
‘To be frank with you, I also used to believe that all the things in the bible were made up until I was forced to read it in order to connect nesthunywa sam. I have testimonies that God does exist but that’s a topic for another day. On Africa healing itself, oh I fully agree. The problem is that a lot of people tend to assume that we’re all called to be healers, which is not quite true’
I nod inquisitively. I want her to carry on.
‘There’s nothing wrong with most of the people who are going to initiation schools right now. The problem starts when you want to open indumba when you were simply called to heal a particular ancestor. If you look around, you will notice that most of them are now closed because they have no customers. When you are meant to be a healer, people are led to you by their guides in cooperation with yours. Some of the people who arrive here don’t even live in this province because that’s what I was called to do’
I continue to nod in silence.
‘Sometimes, you are required to go to initiation school so that one or even more of your ancestors can heal through you. Some are called to break generational curses. That’s all. No need to be hosting consultations and stuff like that unless if you do have that gift’
‘Makes sense. Do you mind if I ask you one last question’?
She burps and nods.
‘Why do some people get killed underwater if they were truly called?’
I have a lot of questions but I don’t want to bombard her with them.
‘The family is mostly to blame is those situations. When a person disappears in that manner, people tend to call the police, helicopters, and what nots. That chaos causes a disruption that always leads to death. In the past, we never knew where to look when a person underwent underwater initiation because things were still highly sacred back then. Now, spiritual people do things in groups and squads, and they can’t keep secrets. Your friends are obviously going to panic when they see something dragging you to the bottom of the water body whereas they shouldn’t have been there with you in the first place’
I laugh because I am that type of friend. I would definitely panic.
‘But what are we supposed to do though?’
‘The family needs to consult with a trusted healer to confirm and put themselves at ease. Calling the police is always, always a bad idea’
‘Makes sense I guess’
I check the time. The car is still not here. Kurhula still has not called. I don’t want to start worrying because I’m going to drive myself crazy once I push that button. He’s fine. I’m convinced I’d know if something terrible happened. I don’t know. I just feel like I’d sense it, somehow.
‘What’s on your mind?’ Gogo asks. I chuckle.
‘Are you a mind reader?’
She laughs.
‘No. I can sense stress though…’
I’m not surprised.
‘I’m just worried about my husband. I haven’t spoken to him in a while’
I can’t help but think about what he told me about Hellen. Now I’m imagining him cheating. Intrusive thoughts of him gyrating on top of another woman are eating at my peace. I don’t want to be this woman and I’m not going to allow myself to turn into her.
‘You think he’s misbehaving?’
‘What if he is?’
She laughs and burps. It’s a long one.
‘Trust me, you would know if he was’ she easily assures.
‘I would?’
‘This journey you’re walking requires purity and cleanliness. Your guides wouldn’t let your partner jeopardize your progress. They barely stand for such nonsense. Sometimes, you find out way before he even meets this potential side piece’
I laugh out loud.
‘I am serious. I once dreamt of an entire WhatsApp chat between my husband and his girlfriend. I am talking specific details; Paxi parcels and date night arrangements. I woke up and asked him about it. He denied at first and I let him be. The guilt ate him until he willingly confessed. That was the very last time he tried that with me’
I can’t stop laughing. My transport arrives and I bid her goodbye. We hug by the door and I leave.
‘You know you can always call when it gets too much, right?’ she says and fills my heart with absolute warmth. She’s way older than me but she feels like the friend I have always silently prayed for. She’s a godsent, literally.