CHAPTER 27

CHAPTER 27

[KULANI]

Kurhula tends to forget that I can sense it when there’s a lot on his mind. We’re on our way back home from the doctor and I’ve already asked him what he’s digesting in that busy head of his but he claims it’s nothing. Instead of addressing whatever it is, he prefers to play with my thigh instead. When we drive into his home, the guards flag Kurhula’s car.
After he brings the window down, greetings are exchanged and he receives the USB stick from Nyiko, with a curious look on his face.
‘What’s in here?’ he asks, studying the small object.
‘I would rather you see for yourself. Please, speak to the boy because he’s making our job highly uncomfortable’
I can pick up the exasperation in Nyiko’s voice, although he’s trying his best to hide it. Kurhula nods and starts the car.
‘What was that all about?’ I ask. He shrugs.
‘I think it has everything to do with the newly installed cameras’
‘You installed more?’
‘Yeah, in the living room, the garage and the kitchen’
‘But why?’
He keeps quiet. I don’t know even know why I’m asking because I know very well where this is coming from. He parks the car and we walk into the house. We find the connoisseur of crushed beans having coffee, in this heat. At this point, I am just going to conclude that Fikani is a coffee addict. Him and his brother greet one another through a shoulder bump.
‘Hi Kuli’
‘Hi’ it comes out flatter than I had intended. I don’t know how I feel about him and I don’t want to overthink it. Whatever awkward feelings exist between us, I am leaving them as they us.
‘Thought I’d find you gone’ Kurhula says.
‘I’m leaving. Just had some paperwork to finish up. I wanna get home and relax’
‘Makes sense. Junior…?!’ Kurhula calls. No response.
‘Ed!!’ he continues.
‘Is he even here?’ I ask. Fikani nods.
‘Probably has headphones on, as always’
The little brother appears up the stairway, looking all sorts of moody.
‘Why aren’t you responding when you’re being called?’ Fikani asks. Junior straightens his posture and softens his sour face. I have gotten to realize that he’s more afraid of Fikani than he is of Kurhula. Familiarity, I guess.
‘Fetch your laptop and get your dumb a** down here’ Kurhula instructs as he pulls out a chair from the dining table. He gently pulls me by my shoulders and gets me to sit down. I am sleepy but I don’t want to be rude. I don’t think I should be a part of this, whatever it is that Junior has done.
‘What’s going on?’ Fikani asks.
‘We’re about to find out’ Kurhula replies, while rotating the stick in between his fingers. Junior comes back with his PC and asks why he had to bring it. Kurhula pulls it towards himself in silence and inserts the memory stick. He plays the only video that’s in there and I almost go blind. What the hell? Why am I being subjected to teenage pornxgraphy?
‘On the dinner table?’ the annoyance is written all over Kurhula’s face.
‘On the spot that I always sit on?’ Fikani is in disbelief. Junior has no idea where to look.
‘Since when do we have cameras inside the house?’ he asks.
‘You are asking irrelevant questions. What the hell were you thinking? I changed you single bed to a king-size for a reason you fool!’ Kurhula continues to scold.
‘This is disgusting man Junior’ I add. It really is. Now I am beginning to wonder if this was the first time because I have sat and had popcorn here and I remember some of them falling onto here and going straight to my mouth.
‘I’m sorry sis’ Kuli’ he meekly apologizes. I am not the one breathing fire around here.
‘What should we do with you?’ Kurhula asks. His eyes show the physical exhaustion he’s feeling. He did speak of wanting to join me in my nap.
‘I’ll clean it up’
‘What is this “it” you’re referring to?’ Fikani asks. He now wants to laugh. Kurhula is still unimpressed.
‘Everything that was happening here’ Junior proceeds trying to account.
‘What was the reason?’ Kurhula asks. Junior pushes his tongue against his cheek.
‘Now you can’t talk? Okay, let’s watch the whole thing and maybe I will understand why your escapades couldn’t wait till you got to your bedroom’ he pushes the laptop screen open and Junior panics.
‘No! Jaguar please, let’s just forget that this happened’
‘I’m not your friend, Ed’ he warns.
‘I meant bhut’ Kurhula’ Junior retracts the nickname. ‘Now please delete that. Are you sure that this is the only copy?’
‘I’m not going to dance to your tune boy’
‘Haa Bhut’ Fiks? Talk to your –‘
‘Ey keep me out of your shenanigans. I want nothing to do with your pxrn career’
‘Okay. How much of it did you watch?’
Is that his biggest concern right now?
‘If you’re asking us if we think you can fvck, the answer is no’ Fikani jests.
‘He’s actually asking if we’ve seen his toddler-size dickenson’ Kurhula adds petrol to the fire. Junior is not happy with this conversation. They’re deliberately trying to upset him. The only thing we saw is his butt in between the girl’s separated legs.
‘There’s no way—’
‘Hey, go get some detergent spray and clean this table’ Fikani cuts him off before he can speak. Junior disappears in that instant.
‘This boy…’ Kurhula says, watching him walk away. Fikani grabs his cup and walks out. Kurhula offers me his hand and helps me up. We walk to the bedroom and the first thing he does is to get out of his t-shirt, shoes, and jeans.
‘Baby…’I call. I have been meaning to ask him this.
‘Hmm??’ he answers, while stretching his neck.
‘Where is Mhan’ Xongi? I saw how you and Fikani looked at each other the time Mhan’ Singi said she doesn’t know where your placenta is buried’
The look he’s giving me confirms that he knows something.
‘I don’t know where she is. He told her to leave his house. We don’t know where she went but we’re busy looking for her’ he states and pulls me into his arms.
‘What? And if you don’t find her?’
He kisses me. Is he trying to shut me up?
My instincts were right. Fikani is equally a hothead as this one standing in front of me. He is going to be in trouble if she’s not found. In as much she’s a devil in her own way, she’s still their mother and you don’t treat your mother like that. Do these two understand that their actions have consequences? I wonder if she’s safe wherever she is. He’s already hard and he’s not going to listen to a word beyond this.
‘I thought you said you were tired?’ I ask when he lays me down on the bed and inserts his hand in my underwear.
‘Tired? Woman, I’d fvck you on my deathbed’
I laugh out loud. I don’t doubt that.
‘Okay but this has to be a quickie’
He nods, still kissing me and rubbing on my privates. He’s not listening.