CHAPTER 21

CHAPTER 21

I have a meeting with my father at nine. Yes, even as his kid, you need an appointment to see him. The drama of it all. He says there needs to be a clear distinction between his office and a lavatory; that we just can’t barge in like we’re pressed. It’s half past six and I’m sitting outside, basking in the cold morning breeze. I tried going back to sleep twice but I was deeply yearning to get outside the house. My room started feeling like it was suffocating me. I love everything that has to do with early mornings but I am a failing member of the 5am gang. I have to admit that there’s a breath of fresh air here at home. I love Kurhula but living in that house is a daily mental struggle. The energy is always heavy. There’s no homely feel because the people there do not love one another, at all. I always used to hear about these sort of things on television, never stopping to think that one day I would be right at the centre of it all.

My heart instantly warms up when a white bird lands on the table where I’m seated under my father’s lapa. I watch it with a smile on my face. I place my hand on the surface so it can climb onto my finger. It doesn’t budge. It keeps walking around leisurely. I have no idea what to say to it. Am I supposed to even talk to it? I am just so happy I’m beginning to feel overwhelmed. I sit back on the chair and continue looking at it. It has an element of peace attached to it; assurance that everything is fine. I don’t know, there’s a voice in my head telling me that I should give up control; that I’m holding on to too much, including my breath. I unlock my jaw, loosen my shoulders, and breathe out. The bird stays with me for some time, chirping away. Now that I’m soaking in tranquillity. It takes a few steps towards me, turns around and flies off. I laugh when I put one and one together. This is a sign that I did not bring myself out here.

After breakfast, I follow my father to his office. He offers me a seat after occupying his across the desk. 
‘How is home so far?’
I laugh. He knows that a huge part of me doesn’t want to be here. In as much it hurts to think about, I am supposed to be at the Ngobeni royal compound right now.
‘It’s okay I guess. How are you dad?’ I ask. His eyes twinkle.
‘I have to admit, this is one of the reasons why I brought you back here. You’re the only one who truly cares about my well-being around here’
I chortle. He brought me here for his own selfish reasons.
‘You’re too attached to me’
He shrugs with a warm smile on his face. ‘Ah ntaku yini marha? What can a father say when his little children insist on growing up against his wishes? Anyway, during your tantrum, you mentioned your underwear being stolen from here. What was that about?’
Tantrum?
‘Don’t worry about it. I have it under control’
If I dare say a word about this, I might as well kiss my husband goodbye. The look he is giving me tells me that he’s not buying what I’m selling.
‘You know very well that I haven’t abandoned you, right?’
‘I know daddy. However, I am never going to grow if I keep running back into your arms every time things go wrong’
‘You can, actually’ he’s quick to correct and I laugh. ‘Okay fine. And that boy, how is he treating you?’
I fail to control the smile that graces my face.
‘He’s amazing. He’s exactly what I negotiated with my ancestors’
My father nods encouragingly.
I chuckle. ‘There’s nothing more to say. He’s just… he’s my best friend. I feel like I’ve met him before; like I’ve known him in my previous life. That’s as far as my vocab can take me’
He bends his smiling lower lip. I close my eyes with my palms. I can’t believe I am discussing the man I am sleeping with, with the man that raised me.
‘I am still disappointed that this happened. He’s supposed to protect you with everything in him’
‘I don’t doubt that Kurhula would slide barefoot across a sharp sword trying to get to me. It’s just… this whole thing had to happen. He wasn’t even in the province when it occurred’
‘Tell me about this twin. I have known that family for years but I never knew that Kurhula had such a brother?’
‘He just recently joined the family. They were separated at birth’
‘Ah. Makes sense now…’
He doesn’t sound surprised at all. This doesn’t shock me. It was said that this was a common practice back then. Either that, or you run off with your copies if you wanted them to live.
‘He doesn’t deserve this, dad. He will do everything you say because he respects you but he doesn’t deserve this’ I plead on Kurhula’s behalf. This whole apology thing is ridiculous. They’ve already taken out a hefty amount for me. Now I’m starting to feel like he’s scamming them through me.
‘What doesn’t he deserve?’
‘This punishment you’ve set out for him’
He sits back on his chair and looks at me.
‘How do we know that this will not happen again? You’re also refusing to open a case against the person who did this to you. What exactly do you want me to do as your father?’
I shrug. ‘I can’t open a case. It will tear the family further apart’
He’s still looking at me, digesting what I’ve just said.
‘In two weeks, I want this twin here. He needs to look me in the eye and tell me where he gets the guts to manhandle you like this when I have never even pinched you. Before then, get comfortable in your father’s house my angel’ he states and picks his walking rod up and his jacket.
I’m left sitting agape. He closes the door behind him and I hear him calling for my mother. Now I regret ever trying to reason with him. Getting Kurhula to understand that he needs to get his brother here will be an uphill battle in itself. I can already hear him asking if I ever heard him ask for my help. He may not understand where I’m coming from but since he’s set on building a house, with the pending wedding and a baby on the way, I am not allowing him to buy expensive cattle in my name.