CHAPTER 42

CHAPTER 42
[UNEDITED]

[KULANI]

‘Why are you up so early today?’ Kurhula asks while fixing his tie.
‘Early? It’s seven in the morning’ I argue while still in bed.
‘For you? My lazy wife? Way too early’ he says and laughter escapes me. Mciim he mustn’t start. I’m so happy he didn’t bring work to the bedroom last night, nor did he disappear into his study. I enjoyed the simple conversations we were having during our cuddling session. I love listening to him speak because I learn something new each time. He picks up his blazer and comes to kiss me goodbye.
‘Don’t you want to go out today?’ he asks after dropping a peck on my forehead.
‘Are you asking me out on a date?’
‘Eish… not really baby. I have a full day today. Two court cases and meetings at the office’ he explains while pulling out his card from his wallet. ‘Just go out and get some fresh air, otherwise these walls will close in on you’
I receive the card and tell him I’ll think about it. He kisses me once more and leaves. I pull out my phone the moment he steps out of the bedroom. I decide halfway through the text that I should call her instead. We’ve never had a conversation before. A call just makes sense. I breathe in and out, hoping that this does not blow up in my face. I wait for her to answer as it rings on speaker phone.
‘Hello?’
‘Nikiwe, how are you doing? It’s Kuli’ I state and remember that she might not even know who I am. ‘Kurhula’s wife’, I add for clarity.
‘Oh…’ Bewilderment is thick in her voice. ‘Uhm… I’m doing okay. How—… how are you?’
‘I’m fine, thanks for asking. I was wondering if you’d be available for a meeting?’
‘With you and him?’
‘No no. Just you and I’
She goes quiet for a bit.
‘When and where?’
‘Today? Over lunch if it isn’t too much of an inconvenience’
‘If it has to be today then let’s make it over breakfast. I have orders to ship in the afternoon and I’m also meeting up with my supplier’
‘Fine by me. You’ll text me the details?’
‘Sure’
That went better than I had expected. I don’t even know what I was expecting. I get out of bed and start fixing the sheets. I always do this myself because I don’t understand the concept of another person making my messed-up bed and washing my underwear. If it was up to me, the helpers wouldn’t even enter our bedroom because I believe my bedroom is a sacred space. The gag is that this room is way too big for me to clean all by myself. If Aunt Lydia finds out about this, I will be in for an earful. I’m in the mood for a bath but I’ll opt for a shower because the former will definitely make me late. I pick out an outfit first. Why? I’m likely to change my mind if I have nothing to wear. After getting ready and ditching the make-up idea, I grab the keys and my phone then leave the bedroom. My mom would ask me why I’m leaving the house like I’m going to a street fight, all because I don’t have a handbag with me. I’m not in the mood for a lot of things today but this needs to be done.
When I walk into Mugg & Bean, I find her already seated. We’re both on time so I do not feel guilty that she arrived first.
‘Morning’ I greet when I reach her table and she gets up for a hug. I hug her back. She’s polite. I don’t even know why I expected different. I guess first impressions do not last after all because the first time I saw her, she was spitting fire. She orders a slice of chocolate cake and I settle for a cup of coffee.
‘Dessert for breakfast? I am judging you’ I tease and she laughs.
‘Girl if you knew the week I’ve just had, you shut the hell up’
‘Customers giving you hell?’
‘You don’t know the half of it. Two people did not receive their wigs and one returned it because apparently, the knots refuse to get bleached. If you see the state of that hair right now? You’d cry on my behalf’
This is why I’m not a businesswoman. I would go nuts because this ‘The customer is always right’ mess would not fly with me.
‘Don’t tell me you’d given her a refund?’
‘Gave her half of her money back. The back and forth isn’t worth it. She’s a well-known influencer so one wrong word from her would destroy me’
‘Ahhw… sorry about that’
She just shrugs and receives her plate when our order arrives. I grab a sweetener and empty it into my cup.
‘So… what am I doing here, Mrs N?’
I take a sip and clear my throat.
‘Listen, I don’t mean to overstep but I feel like the two of you need to sort your issues out before this gets even messy’ I try to approach this as gently as I can. I didn’t even know where to start. Her fork digs into the chocolate sponge and she throws the piece into her mouth.
‘Did you speak to him first before coming to me?’
‘I did. He’s adamant on taking this to court. If it gets there, there’s a great chance that you will never see your baby again’
‘I don’t know what this is but he has sent you to see if I’m shaking in my boots, tell him to bring it on’
‘Nikiwe…’
‘Kuli please. This is between me and your husband. Kurhula does not have a womb’
‘You can’t use a child to fight your personal battles’
She scoffs after I say this and wipes the corners of her lips. I immediately stop her when she attempts to stand up from the table. She sighs and I see her calming down. She sits back in her seat.
‘I wouldn’t take sides if I were you. Kurhula will only love and respect you for as long he’s still in a relationship with you and for your sake, I hope nothing breaks you apart’
‘What do you mean by that?’
I feel my brows pulling together.
‘Can you believe that he called me a whxre? Me? The mother of his child? Just because I introduced AK to the man in my life? Hhayi suka’
Yeah… coming here was a bad idea. I’ve no words.
‘Kurhula doesn’t want an amicable relationship between him and I. He wants to take my baby away from me and for as long the sun is responsible for daytime, that will never happen’
I breathe out because I’m running out of wise words.
‘All I am saying is, Akani does not deserve all this. He deserves to have both of his parents present in his life, no matter the differences that might exist between the two of you. And I repeat, you don’t want this matter to get to court because he stands a greater chance of getting full custody than you do. He’s married, has a stable salary and travels only occasionally. You’re always on the road and AK is practically being raised by his grandmother. If this me stepping on your toes then I’m sorry, but I’m just telling you the truth. Call that man and make him see reason if you still want access to your son’
I leave some notes on the table for the bill then stand up and leave because there’s nothing else to be said.