CHAPTER 20

CHAPTER 20

[KULANI]

I’m officially a snuff girl. I am laughing because wow. This afternoon on our way back home, I had this strong urge to have it in my system. Out of the blue, out of nowhere. This urge was accompanied by the deep-seated feeling that it’s all it is going to take to cure my headaches. It’s so weird craving for something you have never experienced before. Surprisingly, I felt like I knew what amount of satisfaction it would bring. The first pull shot up my nostrils and I felt like the earth was spinning for a bit.
My mother wasn’t happy about my return back home, as expected. I have no idea what they were discussing in their bedroom but I am certain it erupted in a fight judging by how they’re behaving around one another. On the other hand, Rhandzu has been sleeping since my arrival here. I need to go check on her because it’s approaching supper time and she hasn’t left her room. I knock twice before she tells me to come in. Just as I have suspected, she is not okay.
‘Hey sis…’ I greet and she just looks at me. I go sit next to her as she lies on her stomach.
‘What have they done to you?’ I ask. Her laughter is weak.
‘You should be asking what I have done’
There’s a confession coming and it carries great regret. I know that tone. I am silent, waiting for her to speak.
‘You remember Nyiko, right?’
Nyiko? I try my best to recall but I know too many people with this name and the ones that are coming up right now, have no alliance with her, as far as I know.
‘He used to be my stats mentor in first year. You met him this one time when you were bringing my winter clothes are res’
‘Oh yeah. What about him?’
‘Arg… we lost contact and I happened to forget about him. He texted me a few days ago telling me that he’s around and that we should meet up’
I nod encouragingly.
‘It was supposed to be innocent. He was here on work and I was his plus one. We had a few drinks and ended up at his hotel’
Oh dear…
‘Your mother is going to strangle me beyond death’ she drops her face into her pillow. I rub her shoulder.
‘Let’s take her out of the equation for one minute. Do you regret the experience?’
She raises her face. This person shamelessly stole my forehead, eyes, and lips.
‘I don’t know how I feel about it. It wasn’t supposed to happen’
‘Do you like him like that?’
‘I think so. I don’t know. I did have feelings for him at some point but he was strictly professional. He hasn’t called since that night and this making it difficult for me to understand his headspace right now’
‘Don’t worry about it. If he hasn’t called by now, I don’t think he deserves any more of your time. It happened. Move on from it’
‘It’s easy for you to say. You’re married now. You don’t have to go for virginity testing and shxt alike. You know how they’re all gonna judge me and I’m not sure if I’m ready for all of that’
I sigh. I literally have no advice right now. This is not as big as she’s making it out to be.
‘Rhandzu, do you regret that experience?’
She stops and thinks.
‘I don’t know. He was a gentleman. I’ve always wished for something like that. I’m just disappointed that we haven’t spoken about it till now’
‘I don’t know. Maybe be the first to call and get this over and done with? Maybe he’s just as anxious as you are right now’
She suffocates herself with her cushion and groans into it.
‘You need a cup of mocha. I’m gonna make it just how you like it’
She smiles back and I leave the room. My phone rings on my way to the kitchen.
‘Hey you. I answer. I was literally about to call you’
‘Why do you lie unprovoked?’ he asks and I laugh.
‘Come on? I mean it’
I was genuinely about to call him.
‘How are my people doing? You still okay?’
‘I am not. I want you to come take me’
He laughs. ‘I will baby’
‘Now’ I say, petulantly. I step outside to avoid prying eyes and ears.
‘If you wanna elope then sure’ he simply responds.
I chuckle.
‘Mciim. At least come see me tonight?’
‘Will you be able to come out?’
‘Leave that to me’
He sounds busy. I can tell by his laughter that he did not even register what I’ve just said.
‘What are you doing there?’ I ask.
‘What makes you ask?’
‘I know you. You’re focused on something there instead of me’
‘I was reading some contract. I’m sorry my love. What were you saying?’
‘The day I shoot you in the nxts’ I threaten. He shoots out laughter. I chuckle when he fails to stop.
‘Where is that coming from?’
‘I’ll tell you when you come’
‘You threaten me and you think I’m still coming? Some’ terribly wrong’
‘Okay I’m serious now. Are you coming?’
‘I’m not sure bout that but you’re most def cummin’
I laugh. His idiocy has no cure.
‘Okay. Don’t come here empty-handed’
‘Why do I get the feeling that I am being used for food in this relationship?’
‘You should’ve given it a long thought before pumping live seeds into me’
‘Well if you must know, I have zero regrets and I would do it again’
‘You better say all these things when you have to change nappies at unpleasant hours in the morning’
‘I still regret nothing. I have a zoom call in two minutes, can I call you later?’ he humbly requests.
‘No you may not’
‘I should not call you?’ he’s confused.
‘The zoom call can wait’ I joke.
He chuckles. ‘You know I’m gonna cancel it at your word right? And I don’t wanna hear nothing about purses and shoes because you would be the reason your man is broke’
I burst out in laughter.
‘Ay go, Advocate Ngobeni’
‘Thank you, boss of me’
He cuts the call before I can respond. His two minutes is up.