CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 9

[KULANI]

‘My goodness!’ he exclaims when he walks into the bedroom. I did a full face of make-up today. I felt I needed to cheer myself up and I haven’t done this in a while.
‘You like? I tried a cut crease and it turned out perfect’
‘I’m not even gonna ask what that is. Stand there’ he says and takes out his phone. Pictures. He changes positions on the floor, capturing me as I stand against the curtain. I am tired of changing poses like a Levis model. I feel like exactly that because I am in a t-shirt and jeans, barefoot. I needed to feel like myself again even though I’d never step out of this room dressed in this manner. I need to go get my toes done.
‘I have come across a plethora of words to describe beauty but I don’t think wordsmiths have seen something like this before’ he says before approaching my face for a kiss. I laugh and kiss him back. I can see by his facial expression that he’s irritated with the texture of matte lipstick.
‘What’s wrong?’ I laugh.
‘Mm-mh. Nex. Are we still going out for ice cream or do you have other plans in mind?’
‘We are. We’re actually going to get my nails done’
‘And how long is that going to take?’
‘A minimum of three hours’
This is inclusive of the thirty minutes it will take us to drive there. Michael is slow but he’s the only one that lays gel exactly how I love it.
‘What? Can’t I drop you and fetch you later?’
‘No I want you to keep me company. I haven’t seen you all day’
I am being honest. I have missed seeing his face and feeling his presence. I am slowly getting addicted to this man. He’s not happy with this but he has no choice.
‘Marha baby. What will I be doing there with such ample time?’
‘Keeping me company ah…’
‘Watching you filing and applying Qtex to your nails for three hours? That’s an exam’
I laugh.
‘You’re really old. When last did I hear this that word?’
‘What? Qtex?’ he chuckles.
‘And you’re wrong. I’m going to do gel’
‘Ey whether it’s gel, concrete or tar, I can’t just sit and do nothing baby. That’s one problem I have’
My convincing skills need a bit of polishing here.
‘You’ll go window shopping at Lowveld Mall when you get tired? It’s nearby’
‘Please take me serious. I only go into the store when there’s something I need and after I get it, I leave’
‘Come on. Take it like… quality time. We’ll be bonding’
‘If you were saying let’s go chill by the grass and set up a picnic situation for ten hours, trust me, I wouldn’t mind. I am not sitting and watching you do your nails my love, I’m sorry’ he kisses my forehead and checks his phone. I’m gonna go drop you off and I’ll come fetch you when you’re done, okay?’
I keep quiet, trying to emotionally blackmail him. He shakes his head when I stare at him.
‘The answer is still no’
I give up and change into tight-fit dress, a kimono, and sandals. I offer to drive and he laughs.
‘I don’t wanna die young. What if you lose it while behind the wheel?’
Every chance he gets, he teases me about this. He throws himself in the car and I stand outside, holding my waist. He continues laughing and opens the passenger door to the double cab bakkie from the inside.
‘I’m sorry. I swear, this is the last time I’m mentioning it’
I thin my eyes at him.
‘Why are we taking this car?’ I ask as he drives out.
‘You don’t sound happy’
‘It doesn’t have a sunroof. I want to take pictures and there’s no proper lighting in here. This face can’t go to waste’
‘You have too many demands today. Are you on your period?’ he asks. He continues driving out.
‘I’m not. I just want proper lighting’
‘I’ll take you proper photos when we get there but I am not changing cars for pictures’ he kisses my hand after saying this. I am defeated.
‘I hope my kids don’t take after you’ I jest. He laughs and kisses my hand again.
‘You need to get your eyes checked’
‘I don’t mean looks. I mean stubbornness’
‘So, looks are fine?’
‘Mm… you’re not half bad. We can work with that’
He scoffs.  ‘The nerve of this woman’
‘But there’s nothing special though. You’re a typical Tsonga guy; tall, flawless darkskin, beautiful teeth, big eyes. See, not half bad’ I continue to tease.
‘I am beginning to wonder. How many “tsonga guys” have you mingled with Kulani? Four? Seven?’
‘Objection. Speculation, Your worship’
He laughs out loud and I enjoy this sight. ‘You’re something else’