CHAPTER 38

CHAPTER 41
UNEDITED

[MABONTLE]

The problem with eavesdropping is that it bars you from confrontation. If you hear upsetting things that you were never supposed to hear, you can’t ask about them because you had no business listening in on that conversation in the first place. My mood went completely foul after hearing that some village wife is being organized for Fikani. That kota almost went down the wrong pipe. He’s driving back to his house now and we’re silently listening to music. My peripheral view tells me he’s stealing glances of me while I watch the sunset. Also, I have no idea why I am mad at him because he sounded just as surprised while on the phone.
‘Can we talk about it?’ I hear him ask, bringing my busy thoughts to a halt. We’re parked outside the house. I didn’t even notice that we had arrived.
‘Hm?’
‘Can we talk about whatever is bothering you? And don’t tell me that it’s nothing’
I sigh and undo the safety belt.
‘You heard the conversation between my uncle and I, haven’t you?’, he sighs.
I clear my throat. ‘It wasn’t my intention to eavesdrop. Anyway, I need to get to work since you need to get going’
He just turns and looks at me. He eventually nods after some time and tells me that he’s fetching my suitcase. All of this was too good to be true anyway. I am a medical doctor. I swore to myself that I’m going to stay married to my work, focus on raising my little sister and travel the world because men have never given me a sound reason why I should bet on them. He comes back with my luggage and puts it in the boot of my car.
‘I’ll drive you’ he offers when I reach for my car keys. I let him do as he says he will. He’s the prince here so whatever he says goes right? Arg, now I’m just being plain childish. Kulani and her husband got married the same way. It’s his way of life I guess. I have no reason to be mad about it.

[KULANI]

The dinner at my father’s house was okay. I have taken the decision that I will not be attending my mother’s funeral. There’s no point. Now I want to get out of these clothes, do my skincare routine and get into bed. I find Kurhula on his PC when I leave the bathroom. I gently close it and put it aside. Him and I need to talk. He said it himself.
‘What is going on between you and my father?’ I ask, after taking a seat beside him.
‘What do you mean? Aku humeleli nchumu – nothing is going on’ he shrugs.
‘Ungani endli xilema Mlambya. I am asking you nicely’
I hear him exhale.
‘First of all, I’m the one who requested this meeting between the two of us’
I keep quiet.
‘Baby, I understand that our relationship is fairly new but there’s one thing in particular that I want to address. When I hurt your feelings, I expect you to be vocal about it so I can know what I did wrong and therefore fix it’
I keep nodding as he speaks. I wonder where this is going.
‘I expect the same energy from you. I did not want to speak about it while you were still in custody because you had bigger things to worry about’
‘What did I do wrong?’
‘You trusted my brother over me. That’s what you did wrong’
‘What do you mean?’
‘After a shooting incident that took your mother’s life, the person you trusted to fix it had to be—’
‘No no. It wasn’t like that at all. I called your phone baby and he answered it. My head was all over the place and I was terrified. I’m sorry it seemed as though I relied on him more’
‘I’m not seeking an apology. I just don’t want it happening again. I need you to know that whatever problem you may face, I will always try my best to make the load easier for you’
He’s firm in his speech. This really upset him. I can even see a thick vein taut on his temple.
‘Is this why you were a bit offish towards me after we came back from court?’ I ask. He lets out heavy breath.
‘I was not offish’
I tickle him and he laughs.
‘DON’T—’ he warns and tightens his hold on my wrist. ‘Don’t fvcking do that to me. No matter how happy you may get’
I missed that smile.
‘Okay. Let go of my hands and I’ll stop’
‘Kulani…?’ he’s still paranoid.
‘I promise I won’t tickle you anymore. Let go of my hands’
He slowly lets go and I immediately try again. I love listening to him laugh and watching him smile. He looks so much like AK when he does. He runs from the bed and goes to stand by the door.
‘I’m not joking baby man stop it’ he’s trying so hard to keep a serious face.
‘Okay, joke’s over’ I stand up and approach him. He meets me halfway and envelopes me in a hug.
‘Have you spoken to Akani’s mother?’
‘There’s nothing to talk about anymore. I’m gonna fight for my son the best way I know how’
‘The legal route?’
He nods
I look up at him.
‘That’s a bit extreme, don’t you think?’
‘You never said that when she decided to keep him away from me’
‘I am not taking sides. I just want the two of you to put your egos aside and remember that he needs both of you. That’s a baby, not a prize to be won’
‘Tell that to her’
‘I just might’ I sternly state.
Someone needs to talk some sense into both of them. If I have to be that person, let that will be done. He hooks his index finger under my chin and raises my face to his. He pecks my lips, my nose, and my forehead.
‘I appreciate the love you have for my son baby trust me, I do but I’ve given mhana AK plenty of opportunities to come correct and she chose not to’ he kisses me once again. ‘Let me take a quick shower so we can go to bed, yeah?’
I simply nod. He steps into the bathroom and I glance at his phone on the bed. I scratch my neck and distort my lips as I contemplate whether to go ahead with it or not.
‘How about we go somewhere this weekend? Just for some fresh air?’ I hear his voice competing with the water hitting the shower floor. Arg, let me just…
I grab the phone and sit on the bed.
‘Baby??’ he calls when I take too long to answer.
‘Sure!’ I agree. I’m not in the mood to be out of the house to be honest. I unlock his phone and go through his contacts. I have no idea what he saved her as. I decide to go to messages and search AK’s name for this to be quicker.
‘Even if it’s just for one day’ he adds.
‘I don’t see why not baby’
I find her saved as ‘Mhana Boy’. I send the contact to my number and delete the text after it’s delivered. He continues planning the retreat while in the shower. If he finds out about this, he’s going to spit fire but I’m doing it anyway. Had my baby lived, I know for a fact that he would’ve been raised in a warm home. Thinking about him stings but mourning has never brought anybody back. AK exists and he doesn’t deserve the BS that his parents are putting him through right now.

[NARRATED]

Instead of going straight home, Fikani stops by Chief Baloyi’s palace first. The guards call the house to let the chief know that he has a guest. After establishing who it is, he keeps quiet – still deciding whether to let him in or not.
‘Chief?’ the guard calls, thinking that the line maybe got cut. Baloyi simply sighs and orders them to let him in. He drives into the yard and Baloyi comes out and the door guard follows him. Fikani steps out of the car with an expensive bottle of brandy – one that he saw the chief drinking the last time he was here. He greets the chief and they exchange a firm handshake, one that leaves Fikani’s fingers traumatized.
‘Mlambya. What can I do for you?’ he asks while studying the bottle. He hands it to the guard and orders him to go store it along with his recent bottles.
‘I would like to have a conversation with you chief, if it’s not a problem’
Baloyi gestures that he follow him inside and they walk in. After they are seated on different couches, the chief looks at Fikani with impatient expectation.
‘Erh… Firstly, I’d like to apologize once again for that incident that occurred with Kuli. It was never my intention, at all’
‘I stated the fine and I shortly received all that was due to me, so what are you doing here?’
‘I have a problem on my hands chief and I’m going to need your help’
Several folds grow on Baloyi’s forehead.
‘What’s the matter? I do not have all day. Shoot straight to the point’
‘As you may know, I have recently been reunited with my biological family and now my elders are speaking matters of a royal bride’
The chief nods, encouraging him to go.
‘I had a conversation with my uncle and he told me that he’s already set the matter in motion’
‘And I rejected his plea. Did he tell you that?’
Fikani raises both his brows.
‘I am not following…?’
‘How are you not following? I do not want you marrying my daughter. After what has happened with Kulani, I cannot trust you with Rhandzu, son’
‘I… Sir I don’t think we’re on the same page. Let me say I did not know that Rhandzu was the potential bride that they were speaking of but I’m here on Mabontle’s account. I would, not now but I would like to marry her someday’
‘Do you see the havoc that you want to wreak in my household now? Listen, Kurhula told me about what happened that night when my wife died. I appreciate your efforts. Lord knows how the whole thing would’ve turned out had you not found’ – he clears his throat – ‘You know what I’m talking about. However, as grateful as I am, I cannot allow you to marry or even date any of my beautiful flowers’
Fikani quickly puts two and two together. Experience gives him four.
‘Don’t tell me you’re the one who…’
The chief maintains eye contact.
‘Those are the lengths I am always prepared to go whenever my cubs are threatened. I am not the man to mess with, Ngobeni. You can see yourself out’ he pats him twice on the back and walks away.