CHAPTER 40

CHAPTER 40
UNEDITED

[KULANI]

She’s gone. The reality of her irreversible absence is only starting to permeate my system now. Contrary to expected outcome, I am actually hurt by my mother’s demise, but what I will not do is waste my time mourning her. I wonder what my father is planning with regards to her funeral. He wouldn’t hear it when I tried asking about this matter. I am in the rosy bubble bath that Aunty Lydia had promised me. Kurhula had to attend something urgent at the office. He said him and I need to have a serious talk when he comes back home. Nothing makes me more anxious than a pending, ponderous conversation. From his tone, what is on that mind is not about Mary biscuits and the weather. I noticed his mood changing in the car but he denied it. I leave the tub when the water has lost all its heat.
After getting dressed, I find a text from my dad – inviting me to dinner. I slightly raise my brow at this. I know he must be relieved that I wasn’t charged but I don’t think this is appropriate, considering what the family is going through. I am certain that some members of the family are still firm with the idea that I am responsible for this. The question still stands though. If I’m not the one who pulled the trigger… who did? While I’m still trying to draw some sense out of this loose end, I receive a call from unknown number. I have no idea who this is but I am certain that I am not in the mood for them.
‘Hello?’
They’re silent but I can hear them breathing. I cut the call and throw the phone on the bed. I am too sleep-deprived for this tomfoolery. It rings again.
‘I’m going to murder someone, for real this time’ I regret this string of words the second after it leaves my mouth. I search for some maturity within me and take the call once more.
‘Hi. Please don’t drop the phone. It’s me’ she immediately shoots.
Does this lady have a name or is she a special case? I continue being silent because at the rate that my patience is busy disintegrating, I might ruin someone’s day.
‘Ke nna, Kgahli. Please I need to talk to you’
Wow. My brows are eager to meet and share this puzzlement I’m feeling right now.
‘Uhm… how can I help you Kgahli?’
‘By coming to the hospital. I cannot talk on the phone’
I don’t know if I’m being paranoid after what just happened but I’m not happy to be interacting with this girl right now. She may sound sincere but this is the very same person that showed up on the eve of my wedding day. My instinct could be on to something but then again, I may be suffering from JCD – Jealousy from Common Dxck syndrome. I agree to go see her. Plus, I need some sun. The air in this room feels dense and recycled.

When I get to her ward, she waves both hands in the air so I could easily spot her. She should’ve just told me that she’s the only light–skinned person in here and that would’ve done the job. She brushes the fly-aways on her straight back with her hands as she waits for me to get to her bed. If she’s trying to look decent then it’s not working. We both look raggedy and lost. I’m the only one who is unbothered by this fact. That oversized hospital gown is not helping her case at all. I need to pick a day to get some maintenance done. Waxing, nails, cornrows, and all. I look like I’ve given up on life, which may not be entirely false. A bit of me feels bad for not bringing a basket of fruits for the patient I’m here to see, but then I remember that we are not friends. This fact singlehandedly wipes the guilt.
‘Thank you for coming’
This is the first thing she decides to say. My mother was a horse of a very unique colour but one thing I’m grateful for is her always emphasizing that you do not talk to a person without greeting them first.
‘Hi, Kgahli’
I want to smile, I really do. It is the energy I do not have. What exactly am I doing here?
She clears her throat. She keeps dodging eye contact with me.
‘How are you recovering?’ I try to break the ice while sitting on the empty space on her bed.
‘I’m coming alright. Thank you for asking’
‘May I ask what happened?’ I pry. Her face immediately changes.
‘Unfortunately no. You may not’
I wasn’t fighting but I will not bother trying to explain this to her.
‘Why am I here?’
Sister Emma walks into the room and loudly greets me. I greet her back. We used to be classmates in high school. She’s one of those ‘friends’ I outgrew but kept in my WhatsApp for no particular reason.
‘Long time no see hey!’
‘I got your number from her. If you mind, please blame me and not her’ Kgahli says. I assure that it’s okay and continue discussing old memories with the former classmate. After she’s gone, I turn to my husband’s… old flame?
‘I called you here because I wanted us to have a conversation as women. Listen, Kurhula loves and respects you’
I don’t think I’m going to like the crux of this. I simply nod inquisitively. She’s visibly trying put her thoughts into words.
‘I’ve been thinking. The reason why he’s adamant on pushing us away is because of you. He’s afraid of you’
I laugh with zero intention. Kurhula? Afraid of me? Are we living in an alternate universe? I am still without words because I have no direction of where this ship is sailing to. I am still waiting on captain Kgahli to get to the point.
‘Bona neh, I am not attacking you. I just want my baby’s father to be there for his child. You’re a woman. You might be a mother le wena and—’
I instantly feel like my heart has been submerged in ice water. Yup. She hit a nerve. And what does she mean by “might”?
‘Kuli please don’t hear me wrong. I am just saying that… you know? Make him see reason. If it fails, I will just accept that he just wants nothing to do with our baby and leave. However, I feel like… again, don’t take this the wrong way. I feel like you’re standing between him and his daughter. I’m just asking you to assure him—’
I leave before she can even finish her sentence. And that damn tear wasn’t supposed to fall in front of her.