C191: Piggyback

Read Novel Online Full FREEWN
Novel  Take My Breath Away  Chapter 191: Piggyback
TAKE MY BREATH AWAY

When she heard that Carlos was going to take her out, Debbie was thrilled. "Awesome! Let's go!"        

Just as they stepped out of their bedroom, they came across Valerie and Megan who had just come upstairs.    

Seeing Debbie and Carlos both fully dressed, Megan asked, "Uncle Carlos, Aunt Debbie, are you going somewhere?"    

Debbie ignored her. Carlos nodded. "Grandma, we're going out for a bit."    

"What for?" Valerie asked.    

"A movie," Carlos replied. It was Debbie's suggestion. Her idol's new movie was just released. She had been talking about seeing it for a couple of days now. It was about time that he took her out on a date, and the theater seemed like the perfect excuse.    

Megan's eyes lit up. "A movie? Uncle Carlos, I want to go. Can I go with you?"    

'Bitch, we're on a date. Can't you see that?' Debbie thought.    

"Next time. I don't think you'll like this one," Carlos said, flatly refusing. Debbie was relieved. She had been worried that Carlos would have agreed to everything Megan asked.    

Megan trotted to Carlos and held his sleeve. "Uncle Carlos, I'm bored here. I want to go to the movies with you. Grandma Valerie will go to sleep later, and then I'll have nobody to talk to and nothing to do. Please let me go with you. Please."    

Valerie knew Megan's intent. She decided to help her. "Yes. To keep me company, Megan's been cooped up here for days. As her uncle and aunt, you should take her out for some fun."    

Several minutes later, Debbie, Carlos and Megan left the house together.    

In the cinema, Debbie took Carlos to the self-service machine to get the tickets through her phone, while Megan went to buy some snacks and drinks.    

According to the tickets, Debbie's seat was right between Megan and Carlos, yet in the theater, Megan took somebody else's seat and sat beside Carlos.    

So now, Carlos sat between the two women.    

"That's somebody else's seat," Debbie reminded Megan.    

Megan responded casually, "Nobody else is coming. Uncle Carlos' assistant rented the entire theater."    

Debbie was surprised. 'How come I didn't know that?    

"My assistant arranged that when you were in the bathroom," Carlos explained.    

'Fine. I knew I shouldn't have gone to the bathroom. I needed to keep my eyes on Megan!' Debbie thought regretfully.    

The movie started. It starred Ramona Lu, a fantastic singer who became an actress. Her success as an actress proved that she could not only sing but also act. It was a period piece, and Megan had to stifle a groan. Megan hated those kinds of movies, where everyone wore robes and even funny headgear, and they had so many rules about the roles of women and society. Even more than today. She much preferred the more fantastic ones, with mighty magics and eye-popping special effects, but she was left with this. It was called "The Heart Abides"— about two star-crossed lovers. One a prince in exile, the other a palace servant. Of course, it was scandalous in the days of the Song dynasty. At least she was with Carlos. Debbie, of course, was delighted. She had been waiting for this since it went into production, and she heard that her favorite actress was starring in it.