Chapter 12

To get a better view, Hanabi had set up a small bench and sat down on it while instructing Wakatoshi to hit the ball against the wall so that it came straight back. He had to keep aiming at the same spot and hit it. Well, with his left hand it was much more difficult to hit a target on the right side and in a straight line.

It was at this moment that Wakatoshi realized how exhausting it was and that it would go on like this all week. If only he hadn't asked her. However, he wanted to get better and stronger, which is why he had to pull himself together.

"Your father is that Utsui, isn't he?" Hanabi asked after a while, while Wakatoshi hit another ball against the wall. "Yes." came from him. "What next?"

Wakatoshi could literally feel her curiosity. But not because she was interested in him, but because she certainly wanted more information. "He took my mother's name and used to play volleyball. He was also a left-handed player and asked my mother's family for permission to use it."

"I see..." came from Hanabi and thought about it. "Volleyball is the only thing that still connects me to him and is important to me." the ace added, before slamming the ball against the wall and catching it again.

"And what about the other things in the world? Have you never tried anything new?" Hanabi asked, genuinely curious about this. She just wanted to know why he wasn't familiar with other things. "No, why should I? I play in the U19s and can become one of the best players. Everything else is unimportant."

"You almost sound like my brothers." the girl laughed cheerfully. "But you should really do something else. It doesn't have to be more than volleyball, but you could train less and do more with your friends."

"Friends? The only one I could call a friend is Tendou." "That's what I thought." Hanabi laughed softly, which Wakatoshi thought was kind of cute. In general, Hanabi had a nice and pleasant voice when she wasn't immediately angry.

"After my brothers got on my nerves so much, I decided to go to Shiratorizawa. I admit, as a child I loved training with him, but over the years it became more and more serious and exhausting. I just didn't enjoy it, which is why I wanted to pursue my old hobby."

"Drawing?" asked Wakatoshi. "Yes...but that Tanji put a spoke in my wheel. Just like you did with your deal."

Wakatoshi thought for a moment to see if he had understood correctly. Feelings were never really his topic, but he had noticed. "For not liking volleyball anymore, you smiled every now and then."

Yes, he was right. "Yeah...kind of..." Hanabi mumbled before exhaling and standing up. "Enough for today."