Chapter 46

About an hour later, the game was actually over and Hanabi was grinning a lot more. At the last moment, Wakatoshi was able to score the decisive point when he managed to play straight with his left hand. He had practiced this over and over again since the private training with Hanabi.

She looked at her mother, who nodded gently and let her go. As if stung by a bee, Hanabi let go of the poster before squeezing through the crowd and running to the lower aisles. Her breathing was rapid as her lungs had to get used to functioning normally again. But this pushed her straight to the back of her mind as her legs quickened.

Hanabi could recognize his brownish hair and his height from afar. "Wakatoshi!" she called out without thinking and pushed past several girls who wanted to see the player.

Hanabi completely ignored the stares and began to cry joyfully before throwing herself around his neck and hugging him. As if by magic, Wakatoshi wrapped his arms around her back to pull her even closer to him. Even as he did so, he caught a new scent from her. The sick scent had gone from her and his nose could smell her familiar sweet scent. His face settled into her neck as if of its own accord and he exhaled with relief.

"The doctors said I'm fine. So I can go back to school without any problems." Hanabi smiled in the embrace and no longer had any problems smelling the sweat that had once been her undoing. "I'm glad you're here." Wakatoshi simply said and heard her usual laugh, which he had missed. So Hanabi really was on the road to recovery. She just had to start eating a little more again. Maybe Tendou could help with his chocolate, which he sent every now and then.

"Wakatoshi...?" "Hm?" he returned softly, feeling her lips lightly against his neck. "Thank you for always being with me." Hanabi whispered softly and had to smile a little.

"Thank you for never giving up on me."

As if by magic, the ace hugged his girlfriend tighter. "Don't thank me for that." he said, breaking away from Hanabi a little to look at her face. "Yes, you were always there for me, you worried about me and always made sure I ate something. You hardly let me out of your sight even though you knew how ill I was. I don't know how I can repay you."

As always, Wakatoshi looked down at her with a slightly monotonous expression. Well, he had slowly learned what a cheerful face should look like. Actually, he had gotten back from her exactly what he had told her several times.

"You don't have to give me anything back. Not even with a poster like that." said the ace and actually smiled in front of some of those present. "Ohhh, so this is your girlfriend, Ushijima?" asked the Schweiden Eagles' libero. "Yes, what's wrong with that?" Wakatoshi asked back, making Hanabi laugh.

"Nice to meet you in person. I'm Hanabi Miya." the blonde politely introduced herself. "M..Miya? So how..." asked the libero. "Yes, Atsumu and Osamu are my brothers." Hanabi grinned.

"You really could have told us that, Ushijima!" they all scolded him. They only knew that he had a girlfriend who wasn't doing well at the moment. "I didn't think it was necessary."

Hanabi could only shake his head in response. Wakatoshi really needed to work on that. But she thought it was nice that he had made a good connection and smiled at him. He simply looked into her green eyes again before placing his hand on the back of her head and pulling her to his chest.

"Thank you for the motivation earlier." he said a little late. "It was necessary." Hanabi grinned and tilted her head back slightly. "Oh...and there's something else I couldn't answer so you said something to me in the hospital."

Wakatoshi looked questioningly at his girlfriend, who stood up slightly on her tiptoes. "I love you too, Wakatoshi." Hanabi smiled before she placed her lips on his and wanted to never let go of him again.

Hanabi could never have imagined that this boy would make her like volleyball again and fall in love. To stand up to the cancer that had almost accepted her just like that. But the way her heart had decided, it was a good thing. Because no one should fight their heart, no matter what situation they were in.

Hanabi's heart had made that decision a long time ago. And it was at that moment when she was sitting under the tree, drawing a picture for Wakatoshi and he had invited her on a date to the art exhibition. The heart that had shown her the right path instead of choosing to stay away from Wakatoshi.