Chapter 21

Hanabi sat thoughtfully in her seat and looked out of her window. Ever since she had a minor breakdown, Hanabi had decided to stop crying and look forward. Luckily, she had been able to tell Mitsuri that she was studying for the rest of the day so she could be on her own. Well, she hadn't been studying, but rather crying out all her fluids.

Actually, her cancer was only in the early stages, so she could certainly get rid of the disease through surgery and therapy. However, she found it difficult to take the medication the doctor had given her.

As soon as she had swallowed the tablet this morning, she had felt the change in her body. She knew that she would soon no longer have the strength to stand on her feet. For Hanabi, this meant that she would soon have to step down as manager. On the bright side, Wakatoshi and Tendou would almost be finished with school after the high school tournament. So she had to strengthen her relationship with them. But what was she doing with Mitsuri? She was her best friend.

"Earth to Hanabi." she heard a voice and saw a hand waving in front of her at the same time. "Hm?", the blonde girl said and looked at the black-haired girl. "Where are your thoughts? The lession is over."

"Nothing important." Hanabi smiled. "Ahooo, so Wakatoshi is nothing important." Mitsuri grinned, causing Hanabi to blush briefly. No! She was not allowed to build up any more feelings! Well, she had thought about him earlier, but not for the reason Mitsuri thought.

"It's really nothing. Although, the high school tournament is coming up soon and after that some third graders won't be here anymore. I guess I'll be stepping down as manager then." "Wait, you want what? Why would you? I could see that you enjoy it besides drawing."

Hanabi exhaled. "Yes, that's true. But I only did it to help the team this year. It was actually a deal between Wakatoshi and me. It's no longer valid once he's gone." she thought about it and packed up her things. "Oh yes...he and Tendou are going..." Mitsuri said and smiled. "Then you should do more things with them. I can understand that volleyball will be boring without them."

She wasn't wrong, Hanabi thought. Tendou was a lot of fun, especially when he provoked the players and sang to himself. She also enjoyed the additional training with Wakatoshi.

"Let's see." Hanabi said and reached her fingers into the bag she had put around her neck. If Mitsuri continued where she was going, there was no way she could keep her distance. The distance she had to have in order not to seriously injure anyone if she died.

But she only realized later that her heart had already thwarted her plans.