Chapter 26

The semi-finals of the high school tournament had begun. The time until then went by very quickly, mainly because Hanabi had also spent most of his time drawing or training. Since the so-called date with Wakatoshi, he had changed slightly. Towards his team, except Tendou, he behaved as always. But towards her, he was totally different. Hanabi didn't know why, but she thought it was cute how he took care of her from time to time.

Sometimes he carried her heavy school bag, sometimes he brought her a juice or water, always using the excuse that she needed to replenish her vitamin D deficiency and eat something healthy.

At times like this, Hanabi thought that Wakatoshi knew something. But that couldn't be, because she had kept her results well hidden. Only she had completely forgotten that she had put them in the notebook.

Even when the team came here for the games, Wakatoshi hadn't let the girl out of his sight. He was too afraid that something might happen. In all the time he had spent with Hanabi, he had slowly realized what feelings were. Well, Tendou had helped him a little when he had asked him how the date had gone.

At that moment, Wakatoshi hadn't even really known what a date was until Tendou had explained it to him. The nice thing was that Tendou hadn't laughed at him or provoked him, for which Wakatoshi was very grateful. The only thing he hadn't told his best friend until now was what he knew about Hanabi's illness.

Ever since he knew that Hanabi had lung cancer, he had seen her taking her pills in secret, which he hadn't noticed before. He had also seen her trying to sleep on the bus to be fit for the games.

"Not quite on the ball today, huh?" Oikawa grinned when Wakatoshi blew the next point. Yes, he was off his game. Especially because he couldn't forget that kiss on his cheek. He could never forget how much his body had started to tingle. "Means I can win like this."

Wakatoshi looked monotonously at his opponent. Oikawa and winning? No way! He may have been a good setter and could do more than the Karasuno, but he would never lose to him.

"You've got the next one!" a female voice called out, causing Wakatoshi to look towards her. Almost full of energy, Hanabi stood in front of the bench while looking hopefully at her boys and believing in Wakatoshi. No matter how hard Hanabi tried, Wakatoshi could just see how exhausted she was. No amount of make-up to conceal everything was going to help her.

"Your girlfriend?" Oikawa asked curiously, finding Hanabi really beautiful. "And if she is, you don't care." Wakatoshi said, narrowing his eyes. "Uhh, that's all right." The brown-haired man grinned and got back into position. So his rival had a girlfriend who was good-looking. He wouldn't have thought that of him at all.