𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 𝐚𝐮

a/n: friends to lovers to enemies to lovers...idk lmao.

You're walking past the bleachers, wearing jeans and a hoodie. The sun's burning down on you as you look at the path in front of you, the grass still a little dry from all the weeks of heat you had to endure over the summer. It rained last night, but that apparently wasn't enough to fix the poor grass from being all yellowish and parched.

You spot Natasha as you keep walking towards the cafeteria; she's sitting next to Tony and his girlfriend Pepper, laughing at something he said. When she sees you, a devilish grin spreads on her face. She whispers something to her friends, then she jumps up and follows you to the cafeteria. You scowl to yourself, clutching the bag strap over your shoulder even tighter.

"Y/N!", she calls, her voice as familiar and distressing as ever. "Going to the cafeteria? Ooh, you have a date? Or are you gonna eat all alone again?" There's a tiny smirk on her face as she reaches you, walking next to you now. She's wearing her cheerleading clothes, her skirt short and the top thin and tight around her body. You roll your eyes and keep walking, trying to ignore her.

But she doesn't back off and instead keeps following you. "Why aren't you saying anything, Y/N?", Natasha asks with an artificially sweet smile.

"What do you want, Natasha?", you finally snap, sounding just as irritated as you are. You enter the cafeteria, pushing past her as you grab a tray and head towards the counter.

"Nothing. What would I want?" She crosses her arms in front of her chest, her red hair wavy and just barely reaching her shoulders. You sigh as you want to approach the lunch lady, but the redhead grabs your arm and pulls you aside. "You don't get to ignore me", she quietly threatens.

"Oh, I don't?", you mock quietly. "Are you that desperate for attention? And is that why you keep wearing those skimpy outfits, so everyone will look at you?"

Her eyes widen, fury lighting up in them. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me", you hiss and push past her, but she grabs your forearm again, pulling you into a corner.

"You can't insult me and then just leave", she says quietly, darkly. Her eyes are displaying pure anger.

"I can do whatever the fuck I want." You cross your arms. "And why not? Or do you miss me when I'm gone? Which would make sense, since you can't leave me alone for some reason."

Natasha smirks now. "Oh, no. You're just fun to bully."

"Yeah?" You let out an exasperated laugh. "Interesting. Just a few years ago I was fun to kiss, and now I'm fun to bully?"

In 8th grade, Natasha and you were dating for a few weeks. You kissed a few times, but you never told anyone about that. You weren't allowed to — Natasha threatened to out you to your parents if you did.

The girl blushes instantly. "What?", she asks. "I don't-"

"Don't even pretend you don't know what I'm talking about, Romanoff. It's annoying and nobody believes you." You finally grab a sandwich from the lunch lady, as well as some orange juice, then you head towards the tables — but not without Natasha following you closely.

"We were kids back then. It doesn't matter", she says quietly, her face red.

"Sure, kids. Whatever", you say tiredly, a fake smile on your face. You sit down, turning a deaf ear to the girl in front of you.

Natasha's furious. She can't stand not being the one who gets the last word, and you just ignoring her now doesn't suit her at all. She sits down, her face close to yours and her eyes narrowed. "That's all you're going to say?", she says angrily. "Whatever?"