𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞, 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬, 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫

a/n: basically 'i love you in every universe' but make it nat x you :)

different timelines & universes

probably has some historical inaccuracies bc i'm not a historian lol. also not proofread

— 1953 —

"Your coffee", you say, putting the cup full of steaming hot liquid down in front of your husband. He barely recognizes your presence, nodding curtly as his attention stays focused on the newspaper in his hands. You force yourself to keep a sigh from slipping out as you turn around again, drying your hands with a dish towel.

In the kitchen, you prepare breakfast. Sunny side ups, toast, orange juice. Bacon for William, like always. If his cholesterol doesn't kill him eventually, nothing else will, you think as you shake your head.

You serve him the food. Again, a brief nod, this time accompanied by a mumbled 'thanks'. You take the spot across from him and slowly start eating by dipping a bit of toast into the yolk of your fried egg.

You eat in silence, no words exchanged. The only thing you can hear is his chewing, not exceptionally loud but still irritating enough for you to notice. Every single thing, every tiny cough and sigh and slurp seems to build your tension up. You clear your throat in an attempt to calm yourself, which only works minimally.

It's not his fault; not really, anyway. Getting married to someone you don't love certainly wasn't the best idea, but it's you who did it. He didn't force you to — he just enabled it.

You still can't help the aversion you feel towards him. The way his lips smack when chewing his toast is enough for you to quickly stand up, holding your still almost full plate in your hands.

William looks up, not seeming too surprised. "Done?"

"Not hungry anymore."

He nods and finishes his juice in two big gulps, then he closes the newspaper and gets up. Fixing his tie one last time, he walks to the hallway and looks for his jacket.

"I'll see you later. Dinner will be ready by the time I arrive."

The latter sentence isn't a question — it's a statement.

"Of course", you say quietly. "Have a nice day."

Another brief nod. "You too."

The door closes behind him, and you exhale as you turn around. You stand behind the curtain, staring at your car until you see him sit down in it and drive away. The second the blue Buick has left, you rush to the mirror in the bathroom to check your hair and freshen up.

Some makeup, perfume, a nice necklace. Wedding ring on the shelf and the apron off your body, you head out the apartment and down the stairs. Thankfully, your desired destination isn't too far away.

You slip into her apartment without anyone seeing you, closing the door quickly. Then you finally allow yourself to look at her, and you can't help but smile timidly.

It's been almost two years, but the things she makes you feel never lost their intensity.

"Hello", she says softly, her hand resting on your waist as she draws you closer. "I missed you."

"Oh, did you?", you reply with a small grin, resting your hands on her shoulders as you feel yourself press up against her. Natasha smiles as she pulls you in, kissing you slowly. You sigh into the kiss, suddenly feeling completely at ease. Every bit of tension has disappeared from your body, at least for now.

You don't know how long it lasts, to be honest — you feel her lips on yours and the door against your back, rough hands caressing your waist gently. You slip from one moment to the other, letting the bliss wash over you like a warm shower.