𝐚 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐭 𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞

a/n: natasha finds you after you get shot. btw i got the title from this fanfic helper on character.ai lmao 😭 it might be a little corny but better than anything i can come up with so idc

You're walking through the barely lit alleyway, shivering underneath your jacket. You pull your beanie lower, the little clouds of air that form in front of your mouth whenever you exhale showing just how cold it is.

Fuck December in New York. It's cold, windy, and anything but enjoyable. You despise it with your entire soul, being a summer girl through and through. You miss the sun, the beach, the ice cream. Sitting on your balcony and drinking lemonade. Listening to pop music while driving to a random place, knowing that you don't have to be anywhere.

It's different now. Much different.

Things have changed in ways that you never would've deemed possible, or realistic, at least not for you. You've heard that things like these happen to other people, and how they change lives. How nothing is ever the same again.

Oh, how naive you were to believe that you're the exception. That you're immune, that you're far too superior or sensible to let something like this happen to you. You were stupid and young, and you let your guard down.

You sniffle, trying to stop your nose from running because of the freezing weather. You stuff your hands into your pockets and ball them into fists, hoping that'll warm up your stiff fingers. Having to walk to the bus station alone and in the dark is horrible — and just when you thought it couldn't get worse, you hear a gunshot and feel the bullet shoot through your shoulder.

. . .

"Are you okay?"

You have no idea how much time has passed — five minutes, fifteen, an hour. All you know is that you're cold, your shoulder's hurting and that there's a redhead crouched down next to you. She uses her fingers to brush a few strands of hair out of your face, the look in her eyes showing clear concern.

The gloves on her hands are fingerless. For some reason, that instantly catches your attention.

"It hurts", you finally manage to groan. She keeps staring at you for a few more seconds.

"You got shot", she finally states as if it's the most common thing in the world. You roll your eyes at that obvious fact and try sitting up, quietly wincing when the pain rushes through your shoulder. The woman presses you back down again, lightly shaking her head. "No. Stay where you are."

"But-"

"Did you hear me? Stay down." She gestures at the wound. "You're bleeding. We need to get you to a hospital."

"Yeah, well, we can't do that unless you let me get up", you finally snap, making her lift her eyebrows in amusement. She's clearly unfazed by your sudden change in manner.

"Wow. Look who's feeling better", she comments and holds out her hand to help you get up. It takes some whining and complaining, but then you're finally up on your feet, the pain still spreading through your shoulder in waves. "Come on, my car is over there."

The woman starts leading you towards a black Land Rover, but then you stop. She turns around, giving you a slightly irritated look.

"I don't know you", you say slowly. "I mean, you're trying to help me and stuff...but I literally don't know you."

As soon as you said that, the look in the redhead's eyes changes. You not knowing her seems to mildly surprise her, and her lips curl into a weak smile.

"I'm Natasha Romanoff", she then introduces herself. Well, that name does sound familiar. Natasha apparently notices that something in your brain clicked, and she crosses her arms in front of her chest.