𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐥𝐲 (𝟏/𝟑)

a/n: you and nat start falling for each other while hiding in norway. this is actually a fic i wrote but never published because i couldn't figure out how to continue it, but i like it too much to let it rot in my drafts

After what happened with the Sokovia Accords and General Ross, everyone who's left of you is getting ready for one thing: getting the hell out of here. You know very well Ross is trying to get you arrested, and that is something none of you want to happen.

"I'm leaving", Natasha says quietly, looking around for any signs of an unwelcome person. You glance at her, seeing the blood on her lip.

"Me too." Wanda grabs her backpack, ready to leave the small building you're hiding in. You swallow as you look at her. "Y/N...you have my number. Call me?"

"Yes, of course." You go and hug your best friend, holding her close as you suppress tears. You know you'll meet again — this isn't goodbye. But it still hurts. "Have fun and stay safe."

"You too." She nods at Natasha, then she leaves. You watch her walk out of the building, into the dark of the night. A shiver runs down your spine.

"And then it was just us." Natasha smiles weakly and gathers her things — a cellphone, a water bottle, disinfectant.

"Seems to be true." You stare at the dirty floor, covered in dust and old leaves. "Where are you going, by the way?"

"I don't...know. I think Scandinavia." She glances at you. "How about you?"

"No idea." You really don't know — the thought of leaving alone, all by yourself, frightens you. You've been a part of the Avengers for two and a half years now, and you can't imagine being without them anymore. Now that you've 'divorced', as Natasha keeps saying, you're not in your usual team anymore. They're gone, probably all of them on the run or arrested.

Natasha nods and puts her backpack over her shoulder. "You can join me, if you want to. I have someone who'll help us." She looks at you.

You think about it for a few seconds. Yes, you've known Natasha for as long as you've been an Avenger. And the two of you get along...well, somehow you do. You're not exactly friends, you aren't even close, but you're always civil with each other. Honestly, thinking about running away with her doesn't seem half bad.

"It could be fun", Natasha finally adds, a small smile on her lips. You look at her and nod.

"Yes, okay."

"Great."

You gather your things, then you leave the building, careful not to be seen by anyone. You run, run for a while, hiding in the shadows and alleyways until you finally find a way to escape.

. . .

Natasha's standing in front of a small sink, her head bowed down as she splashes cold water on her face. She spits it out, dries her face and looks at herself in the mirror — seeing a tired woman with tied back red hair. She opens her hair and lets it fall over her shoulders freely.

"Feeling better?", you ask carefully.

"Yes." Natasha sniffles. "Sorry. Ferries make me seasick."

"It's okay." You wash your hands and face as well, then you step out of the bathroom again, holding the door open for Natasha. You walk through the narrow corridor until you reach the small door that leads to the deck of the ferry, stepping back outside into the cold, Norwegian morning air.

You go to the railing, where Natasha lets her phone drop into the water beneath you, careful not to let anyone see what she's doing. General Ross called, and she wants to make sure he won't be able to locate you.