𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫

a/n: nat and you were best friends when you were kids. years later, you meet again. i'm not good at finding plots for missions, so excuse if it's not realistic. i just needed a way for them to reunite again :)

"Catch it!", Natasha yells, a wide smile on her face as she watches the football fly through the air. You squeal as you notice it fly towards you, getting dangerously close to smacking you in the face. You lift your hands protectively, stumbling backwards and tripping over a tree root. Before you know it, your butt meets the earthy ground and the football narrowly misses your face. "Shit, I'm sorry", Natasha says as she hurries over to you, sliding down onto her knees and inspecting you.

"I'm okay", you mutter. Actually, you're not — you landed on a small rock, which will probably leave a bruise on the back of your upper thigh.

The blue haired girl frowns. "You're lying", she says.

"I'm not." You roll your eyes and get up, then try to brush the pieces of dirt and grass off your shorts. You fail desperately — the ground is still slightly moist after it rained all morning, and now the dirt is sticking to the fabric of your pants as if it's hanging on for dear life. "Okay, fine", you cave. "It hurts."

Your best friend nods. "It's okay. It'll get better." Then she hesitates. "You want snacks? I think my mom made snacks."

A smile appears on your face. "Yes, please."

"Okay." Natasha grins and takes your hand, pulling you towards where she lives. A nice, big house with a swing set in the backyard. Yelena, her younger sister, is sitting on one of the swings, humming to herself as she's eating M&M's out of a small bowl. "Hey, Lena."

"Hi", the smaller girl replies, smiling and waving. She kicks her feet and keeps munching on the chocolates.

Natasha leads you to the stairs that go up to the kitchen. But suddenly she stops in her tracks; you give her a confused look.

"Wait here", she says, letting go of your hand and storming inside. You wrap your arms around your upper body as you watch her go.

In these one and a half years of friendship, you haven't entered Natasha's house once. She's been to yours, sure — after school, or just randomly during the day when she gets bored. During summer and winter break, too. But you've never been to hers.

You don't dare to question it too much. You're a kid, after all, and what's important to you is hanging out with your friend. But you'd be lying if you said that the question didn't enter your mind at least a few times.

When Natasha returns, she has a plate in her hand. You can see Uncrustables, apple slices and carrot sticks. Her other hand is holding on to a bottle of apple juice.

"We can eat outside", she quickly says, a light blush covering her cheeks. She feels awkward about not being allowed to invite you into her house, but there isn't anything she can do about it.

"That's okay", you nod, not wanting to embarrass her further. She smiles and you find a spot in her backyard, on the branch of a tree. Natasha climbs up first, then you hand her the plate and bottle. You follow right after her.

At 6pm, Natasha gets called inside so she can have dinner. You leave, waving at her as you ride away on your bike.

. . .

When the school bell rings, you immediately jump up and grab your bag before storming out of the classroom. You hurry down the hallway, right towards the room next to the trophy cabinet. You wait there, hugging your yearbook to your chest as you're peeking into the room. Children are storming out of it, laughing and talking — but you're only looking for one in particular.