𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫'𝐬 𝐝𝐚𝐲

a/n: based on 'new year's day' by taylor (who else lol). kind of angsty, but also fluff

It's 5am, and you're still awake. You didn't sleep at all last night; instead, you were at Tony's New Year's Eve party, drinking and welcoming the new year and not worrying about the headache you'd have the following morning.

Well, maybe you should've worried about that — your head is killing you right now. And all the people walking around, talking and laughing as if they're not bothering anyone, certainly don't make it better. A few girls walk by, carrying their shoes and whispering about how hot Steve looked apparently. Not that you'd know, as you didn't really pay much attention to the super-soldier.

You grunt quietly as the glitter on the floor gets stuck to your socks, and you try to dust it off with your hand. As you do that, your eyes meet a few scattered Polaroid pictures on the hardwood floor right next to the couch. You pick them up, the first one you notice being one of you and Natasha that Wanda took. The redhead is next to you, her arm around your waist and a smile on her full lips. You can tell she's tipsy there, but the look in her eyes makes your stomach tingle. Your head is leaned against her neck, a lazy, content smile on your face.

The other pictures are less interesting — they mostly feature strangers or Tony being an idiot — but the second to last one shows you in Natasha's arms as you're sitting in her lap, your head on her chest, dozing off as she's looking down at you with warm eyes. Her hand is lifted to your face, her fingers lightly brushing a few strands of hair away.

You smile to yourself as you put the pictures into your pocket, then you go to the kitchen. A mess, obviously. You almost step into candle wax on your way there, and the alcoholic smell is far too strong. You wrinkle your nose as you push past a group of strangers.

Natasha. Where the hell is she? You remember seeing her two hours ago, when you were starting to get tired and snuck into the library for a bit, but afterwards you parted and you have no idea where she went.

"Did you see Natasha?", you ask Wanda, who just shrugs.

"No idea", she says, her voice tired from last night. "Did you check the library?"

Of course. Maybe she went back when she had enough of the party. You thank the witch and go upstairs, slowly opening the door to the library. And Wanda was right — Natasha's on the couch, asleep with an open book on her chest. Her head is leaned against a pillow that's too close to falling off the couch and her legs are propped up. You smile as you quietly approach her, admiring her entirely.

You crouch down next to her, gently moving a strand of hair out of her face. "Hey, baby", you whisper. "Is that comfortable?"

She sighs in her sleep, turning her head around and yawning as she starts to wake up. When she's awake, she looks at you with those green eyes that you'd love to get lost in.

"How late is it?", Natasha mumbles with her morning voice. You instantly feel the butterflies in your stomach go wild.

"5.20", you reply softly, brushing your fingertips over her cheek. "Party's over. We're currently throwing everyone out."

"Good", she says, slowly sitting up. She reaches out her hands, making you sit down in her lap. You smile, wrapping your arms around her neck. "I missed you", she mumbles as she nuzzles her face against your neck.

"I missed you too", you giggle silently, leaning in to kiss her temple. "Although we only didn't see each other for two hours or so..."

"Mhm, I don't care." Natasha holds you close for a while, then you decide to go downstairs and help the others clean up. You pick up empty bottles, napkins full of pizza grease, party hats and tons of other trash. You're stuffing everything into garbage bags that you carry outside to the big dumpster. When you're finally done, you and Natasha go to your room and take a long nap.