𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐥𝐲 - 𝐬𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐥 (𝟏/𝟒)

a/n: sequel to 'slowly'

You have no idea how you managed to escape from General Ross again — all you remember is jumping out of the driving car, rolling on the ground and then down a small hill, right into some naked bushes.

Five hours later, you're in a helicopter on your way to the US. Your wrist is still hurting, the pain a hollow echo of what it was before. Your face is covered in scratches from the sharp branches.

"They'll find us again", you mumble. "It'll just be a matter of time."

Natasha's silent for a moment. "I know", she finally says. "But we can try and prevent that from happening for as long as we can."

"Why? It's so...exhausting. I just want to be home again." You look at her. "With you. Without being scared of them."

"I know, детка. And that will happen, I promise." She sighs. "But not yet."

"Not yet", you mumble, looking out the window again. But when?

You arrive in the US tired, dirty and in pain. You find a motel that doesn't belong to any big chain and you make sure it's one with a self-check in, so you don't have to meet any people.

The room is small, old and smells like sweat and dust. You take off your clothes, feeling the pain in your wrist and ankle again as you sit down wearing just your underwear.

You can't talk. Even that is too much right now.

. . .

After a night without much sleep, you can't even shower in the morning because the stupid old one in the motel is full of mold. You're wearing the clothes you had on when you got here, as you obviously weren't able to take any of your stuff with you, and you both smell disgusting. But honestly, you have bigger problems right now.

You're headed towards Clint's home, the so-called 'Safehouse', now. It took a lot of consideration and thinking to decide on this, but it seems like the best option. His house is unknown to anyone but the Avengers, and it can't be found that easily either. Plus, they've got a few security systems installed.

You doubt Clint will be too happy to see you there, but you also believe he'll help you. He's been Natasha's best friend for years, and he wouldn't kick you out either.

"We're almost there", Natasha says, looking at the cockpit. "Five minutes, maybe. We'll land somewhere further away though, then we'll walk."

You do that, then you walk towards his house. The walk takes almost an hour, and when you arrive, you feel like you're about to collapse.

Natasha presses the small button next to the tall fence, making it buzz.

"Natasha? Y/N?" Clint looks completely stunned when he sees you. "What the fuck are you doing here? Do you know how dangerous this is?"

"We do, Clint." Natasha runs her hand through her dirty hair. "I'm sorry. Can we stay here? We don't know where else to go."

He looks at her, baffled. "You...I..."

"Please", she adds. He sees the desperation in her eyes and caves, nodding as he leads you onto his property. He opens the door to his house, revealing a cozy family Sunday inside. Nathaniel and Lila are watching a cartoon together, Cooper's playing some game on his phone. Their mom, Laura, is typing something on her laptop.

They all look up when you enter the room, just as much surprise on their faces as there was on Clint's. You smile uncomfortably, only now realizing you're interrupting their nice family time.

"Hey", you say, lifting your hand.

Lila and Cooper lift their hand in unison, saying 'hey' as well. Two year old Nathaniel just looks confused, and Laura quickly gets up to lead you inside and welcome you.