𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬

a/n: the story of your and nat's relationship (everything is v random but i do like it)

The first time you meet her, you don't look exactly good, to be honest.

Covered in blood, your jeans ripped and your leg broken, you're stuck underneath a pile of trash. You groan quietly, the pain in your leg debilitating. Then, someone manages to free you and helps you get up, their arm strong and secure around your waist.

You glance at the woman, your looks meeting and your eyes lingering. Natasha's heart starts beating faster and she swallows, trying to regain her composure.

"Are you okay?", she finally manages to say.

"Well..." You try putting pressure on the hurt leg, and instantly let out a small cry. "No."

"Hospital", she simply says, and leads you out of the remainders of what used to be a library before it got destroyed.

"I don't know you", you mumble as you keep limping next to her.

"Natasha Romanoff."

You introduce yourself as well, and she makes sure you get to the hospital safely. She even waits with you until the doctor checks you out, then she hesitantly says goodbye.

It's funny, the feeling you get when she walks away.

. . .

After that, you don't expect to ever see her again. You have found out she's an Avenger by now, and that only convinces you further that she's unattainable. Even if you did manage to meet her again — what would you do? Talk to her? Ask her if she wants to have coffee with you?

No, absolutely not.

So you go on about your life; you work your shifts, go to your classes, feed your cat. You meet your friends and study with them, you visit your grandma and you bake cookies for Valentine's Day — only to eat them in front of the tv, alone.

Months pass before you see the woman again. You've almost forgotten about her saving you, but only almost; being saved by a pretty redhead in a black suit isn't really something you can forget that easily, and you're pretty thankful for that.

You're leaving campus, your tote bag over your shoulder and your head hurting. You didn't sleep well, and the almost alarming amount of caffeine you consumed certainly doesn't help your case. You should drink some water, but your bottle is empty, and you're not in the mood to buy a new one.

As you set foot on the street to walk towards your bus stop, a loud screech followed by obnoxious honking makes you stumble backwards. You stare at the car, which was about a foot from hitting you.

The window rolls down, and you can't believe your eyes when you see the woman inside the car.

"Watch your step", Natasha says, raising her eyebrows. "I didn't save you just so you could get run over by a car."

"Natasha?", you say, blinking.

She smirks. "Hey, you remember me."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Well, you bumped your head pretty hard that day. Doctor said you had a concussion."

"Right", you mumble. The redhead keeps looking at you, her face expressionless. It makes you a little nervous, to be honest. "Uhm, thanks...again."

"Of course." She smiles. "See you around."

"Sure, see you", you nod — again expecting to never see her again.

But the universe has its ways, doesn't it?

. . .

A few weeks later, you're sitting on the bench next to the bus stop, holding your backpack over your head to keep the rain away from you — a huge failure, as your hair is dripping already.