Chapter 6

Chapter 6

When Mallika saw Jiya ignoring her, she got angry and started yelling.

"Be thankful that you are at home now, not on the streets, because those who live on the streets have no conscience. Only the hunger of the stomach bothers them, not the voice of conscience. Listen to me carefully; if you don't say yes to marry Vikrant, I will cancel all your credit cards. If your conscience is bothering you so much, then go and eat vada pav (Mumbai street food) on roadside shacks and start commuting by local train.

Don't ever dare point a finger at Mallika Sharma's conscience."

She went quietly to her room and wept. She was angry with Vikrant, her mother, and more so with her own situation. She was just twenty-three years old at the time. She thought she would fall in love with someone and then get married. She had so many dreams about her husband. She was not interested in getting married so soon, and not at all to such an old man.

She was twenty-three years old, whereas Vikrant was forty-five years old. How could he think of marrying her? Jiya was distraught with Vikrant. She never wished for her mother's marriage with him, but that doesn't mean she wants to marry him.

She was thinking of calling Vikrant and telling him the truth, but then she dropped the idea of calling him. He was not a commoner; he was the owner of Kapoor Constructions, and refusing his marriage proposal might offend him. Jiya's head began to ache. Thinking about all this, she kept this issue aside for the morning. Later, she drifted into a deep sleep.

She was asleep, but sleep was far away from Mallika Sharma's eyes. She didn't want to respond so quickly. She knew her daughter's mood would soon change. So she wasn't too worried. Once one gets used to money and comfort, it becomes difficult to live without them. She was her daughter. She couldn't miss the opportunity to live a luxurious life after getting married to Vikrant.

In a way, it was good that Jiya was taking time to think about his marriage proposal. Vikrant should also feel that they are not ready to jump on his offer.

When she woke up in the morning, her mother was not at home. A note was pasted on the fridge saying that she was going out for some important work. She wouldn't come home for lunch.

So she had her breakfast alone. Her mood was already off, she decided to go out with her friend. After getting ready, she searched for the car keys but couldn't find them. When she opened her wallet, there was no cash in it—no debit or credit cards.

Her mother's actions raised her temper. Immediately, she called her to talk about this, but her phone was switched off. She couldn't believe that her mother would go to such an extent to force her to marry Vikrant.

She called her best friend, Neha, to come to her home. When she told her about Vikrant, she jumped with joy.

"Oh wow! You're a lucky girl. 'The Vikrant Kapoor', the owner of Kapoor Constructions, is not only in love with you but also wants to marry you. After marrying him, you will not only become queen of his heart but also of Kapoor Mansion."

"Are you crazy? What are you saying? Do you know he's twenty years older than me? He has two grown-up children."

"I know this. Don't think from the heart; use your mind. His children are older, so obviously he is not looking for a mother for them; he is looking for a wife for himself. He can marry any girl he wants, but he only likes you. What did you get out of love? Your boyfriend cheated on you.

How long will you keep getting entangled in the girlfriend-boyfriend game? It is better to get married. Vikrant has a great reputation in society, and at the same time, he is the owner of immense wealth. Think about your happy future, not about his age.

Whatever his age, just see how handsome he looks. His fitness can even surpass that of the boys of today. Don't let this opportunity slip from your grasp. What your mother is saying is right. The rest is yours to decide."

"Neha, money is not everything in life."

"Well, then come with me; today I will make you travel by local train. You live in a posh area of Mumbai; do you have any idea how people live in slums and small houses? The price of a one-bedroom house in Mumbai starts at one and a half crore. Do you have the courage to live like poor people?"

Jiya got disturbed after hearing about poor people's lives. She was feeling nauseated; it was scary to think of living such a life. Neha went to her home after showing her the bitter side of life. She wasn't wrong. Jiya didn't even have the money to feed her pizza today. She was afraid to think about poverty.

Vikrant wasn't the problem, but his age was, for sure. She was afraid that Vikrant's age would create problems in their married life.

Her mind and heart were in turmoil. Seeing Vikrant's photo printed on the main page of the business magazine, she couldn't take her eyes off it. "He is old, but he is really very handsome to look at."

As soon as her mother came in the evening, she gave her the good news that she was ready for marriage.

Hearing this, Mallika smiled. She told Jiya, "I will give this news to Vikrant myself, but not now after a few days. You will neither call Vikrant nor pick up his phone."

"But why, Mom?"

"He should also feel that it is not so easy to make Jiya Sharma say yes to marriage. Anything that is easily available is not worth it. And what is difficult to achieve, a person values more than his own life.

Let him be desperate for you; let him wait a little. You are the daughter of Mallika Sharma, not of any ordinary woman."

♥️ Soniya Jadhav

Do leave a vote/comment behind if you liked this chapter.

Thank you for reading.