𝐢𝐢. 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 ; high voltage in her lips

✵ ──────────────── ✵

ii. fifteen : ❝ high voltage in her lips ❞

𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠: cardiac arrest – bad suns

──────── ✵ ────────

Somewhere in Birmingham

── ✵ ──

The place is peaceful. The sun hovers brightly over a black vehicle where two people sit inside. And it seems that the sun is a glue that plastered the cracks between these people's relationships as the man exhaled softly, placing a hand on the woman's knees in a comforting manner.

"Here we are." He announced as he exited the automobile, walking over to her side of the door

She looked at him with confusion. "What are we doing here?"

"You'll see." Thomas said, holding out his hand. "Come on." 

She gets hold of it and lets him guide her out of the car. As Marianna scanned her gaze through the area, hair tucked beneath a tam hat, she marked an image—an unforgettable face—a ghost of hope from a mother.

She does not recognize the path. She is not sure she knows who the house belongs to. But what the wind gave her a wisp of was undeniably something—more like a blessing. She and Thomas take a step towards the covered, fenced pathway, finding one house with a low stone wall.

"Come on, let's go inside." A voice yelled from a distance. "Here, pass the ball!"

Thomas looks for the source of the yelling, and she follows his gaze. By the old yew tree, standing stout at the edge of the property, were two young boys smiling and laughing as they passed a ball to each other.

The couple continued their trek to the property, observing how the two boys climbed over the wooden fence, where their mother greeted them with a warm smile, asking if they had fun. The older boy answered with another question about lunch. It made Marianna's imagination go wild at the sight. There's a pit in her stomach that feels jealous of what she's seeing. But she pushed that out of her thoughts and racked her brain for the possible reason that they were at the estate in the first place.

The task concerns Polly. What relationship could Polly be having with the woman standing by the small gate, smiling at her sons as if they were in her world?

Mar's eyes trailed over to the two boys, and as soon as she got a good look at one of them, it felt like something at the back of her mind shouted.

"Jesus." She gasps, clutching her skirt, then turning to take a look at her companion. "Don't tell me."

"That's him, Mar." says Thomas softly in her ear before moving forward. His brooding aura was pushing the warmth of the sun away. "Mrs. Johnson?"

"Yes. Who are you?" The woman said, squinting up to Thomas before looking at the strawberry blonde next to him, who gave her a sheepish smile.