𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞 ; wrecked my room

✵ ──────────────── ✵

iii. twenty-one: ❝ wrecked my room  ❞

𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠: kilby girl - the backseat lovers

──────── ✵ ────────

Somewhere in Doncaster

── ✵ ──

The lady across the room, adorned in her grey hat and layers of coats, observed the Peaky Blinders' triumph with a detached inquisitiveness.

As Marianna descended down the stone steps, she found herself lingering by the door, watching as Tommy efficiently signed the necessary paperwork. The victory was sweet, yet a peculiar fatigue settled within her, urging her to return home.

The paperwork concluded, Tommy stepped out of the room, and it was then that Marianna's eyes caught the gaze of the lady across the room.

Up close, the lady possessed a posh demeanor, a refinement that surpassed anything Marianna had seen in London. Old money was woven into her fur coats and neatly short hair, an embodiment of timeless elegance. She was undeniably beautiful.

"You beat us to it." The lady remarked, her voice carrying the same posh undertones that reminded Marianna of Grace's.

A subtle tension hung in the air, a silent acknowledgment of the clash between worlds. Marianna, however, met the lady's gaze with composure.

"Did we?" Tommy shoved his hands in his pockets, an air of nonchalance about him.

"I was trying to nab a filly for my stud." The woman replied, her tone carrying a hint of disappointment.

Mar glanced up at Tommy, who shook off a smirk. "Sorry."

"Thomas Shelby from where?" Her inquiry conveyed more than mere curiosity; it was as if she sought to assign a face to a photograph. Although directly aimed at Tommy, there was no indication that she viewed Mar as a postscript, unlike other women; her gaze consistently returned to meet Mar's.

"From Birmingham." Tommy answered.

"Goodness!" She gasped.

"No, not much." Thomas joked so dryly you could have missed it, but Mar caught it. The subtle frown on her lips revealed that.

Extending a hand to them, she introduced herself. "May Carleton. I breed racehorses and train them. What is it you do?"

"I rarely answer questions is what I do." Thomas replied, his demeanor unyielding.

May's face warmed as she turned to Mar. "Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you must be Marianna James."