𝐯. 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 ; the dangerous things we mean

✵ ──────────────── ✵

v. thirty: ❝ the dangerous things we mean ❞

𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠: blue and you - mad honey

──────── ✵ ────────

Somewhere in England

── ✵ ──

The following day, Mar found herself chauffeured to May's opulent mansion under the watchful eyes of Alfie's men. The insistence on having three guards accompanying her left Mar bemused.

She couldn't fathom Alfie's seemingly exaggerated precautions, treating her as if she were some royal dignitaries requiring an entourage. Nonetheless, wearied by Alfie's persistent banter and the weight of his meaningful jests, she eventually acquiesced to his request.

The car traversed the winding road until it came to a halt, affording Mar a panoramic view of the vast expanse that unfolded beneath, showcasing the grandeur of May Carleton's mansion.

Overwhelmed by the sheer opulence before her, Mar couldn't contain her awe. "Fuck."

At the entrance of the mansion, May Carleton welcomed her with a warm smile that held genuine kindness. Marianna's lips curved into a reciprocating smile, and the woman graciously led her towards the stables where the horses resided.

"Tea? Or Gin?" May extended the offer, a genteel gesture in the lavish setting.

"The horse, May." She responded, her tone cutting through the pleasantries.

"Straight to business," May sighed, a subtle hint of disapproval in her demeanor. "You're too gangster-like than I thought, Ms. James."

"Just Marianna, please," Mar insisted, a flicker of a smirk playing on her lips. "And I'm just really thrilled to see her."

"So, we'll share tea soon, aye?" May offered, her tone sociable.

"I'd like that." Mar replied, a genuine smile gracing her lips as she listened to May's ramblings about the horses she tended to.

Despite the outward warmth, Mar couldn't help but sense the underlying sadness in May's demeanor, an echo of the troubles and pain she had endured. Yet, the kindness emanating from May felt undeniably genuine.

May, like herself, had observed Mar's dazed stare and spaced-out replies. Sensing the need for a change of scenery, she tugged Mar towards the horse troughs.

"Look. Come!" May beckoned, leading Mar to the troughs. "See?"

Marianna gazed into the water, where three goldfish swam lazily.