𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 ; not wanting to be your décor

✵ ──────────────── ✵

iii. twenty: ❝ not wanting to be your décor ❞

𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠: hot rod - dayglow

──────── ✵ ────────

Somewhere in Birmingham

── ✵ ──

The day of the auction arrived, and Marianna found herself inside Polly's residence at Sutton. The sunlight streamed through the windows, casting a hopeful glow that Mar wished reflected the events of the day. However, the persistent knocking in her mind, the unrelenting doubts, grew harder to ignore.

She grappled with the weight of responsibility for setting up the intricate scheme. The dangers involved had become more apparent, and regret gnawed at her conscience. If only she had foreseen the sinister turns of Sabini's actions, the tragedy that befell a young life, and the looming threat against Thomas, she might not have embarked on such a perilous plan.

The abrupt sound of a loud honk from outside jolted Marianna from her contemplation. She made her way from the dining area to the family room, where she found Polly and Michael engaged in conversation.

"They're here." Mar announced softly as she approached the table where Polly and Michael were seated.

"We bloody fucking heard." Polly grumbled in response to the disruptive noise.

Mar giggled at the exchange, her gaze shifting toward the table. "She made sandwiches, huh."

Michael's eyes trailed over Mar, taking note of her changed appearance. "You're wearing a..."

"I am. There's a lot of rich people there. We need to look good." Mar explained, her attention on the practicality of the situation. Unbeknownst to her, Michael's gaze lingered, catching the transformation in her appearance that seemed to elevate her into an almost angelic presence.

"Mari?" A voice called out.

"Tommy, we're here." Mar responded.

Thomas's stoic face appeared from the corner, his eyes immediately drawn to Mar. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah." Mar replied, her gaze meeting his with stoicism.

"Nice suit!" John popped out after Thomas, offering a smile to Michael.

"Thank you. Mar picked this one out of the ten pair you gave me." Michael smiled.

"Out of the ten pairs, which is either too big or too small." Mar added, her tone carrying a hint of playful teasing.

The Shelby men gathered around, the atmosphere filled with a mix of anticipation and the subtle tension that often accompanied their ventures into the unknown.