F o u r

After their meeting at the Black Lake, Draco had imprented in his mind his reflection in her eyes. He had always known to be beautiful, and always boasted of his charm, but once he saw himself in her mirrors, he thought to be even more, and felt at peace.

Still, Malfoy wondered how he could have admired a mudblood, and hated himself for doing it.

He just felt an idiot for spending those few minutes with her and, especially, for turning several times towards her as he was walking away. Little by little Draco saw the girl getting further, and the curiosity of glancing all her paintings increased.

But what did he care about that little brat?

It wasn't about her, but her gift. At that moment, that she was mudblood had no importance.

Josephine impressed Malfoy. The painting and Josephine. Talking ordinarily to her wasn't as unpleasant as he believed. Draco hadn't felt that usual bother he used to feel when he merely knew that she was around.

Josephine stayed there, painting till breakfast, but without success.

The fact that such an unbearable person had appeased his wickedness, and enjoyed her creation - left her utterly astonished and couldn't finish her painting.

So Josephine packed her stuff and went back to the castle as she realized Malfoy never called her mudblood with repulsion in his vocals. The same boy who had always called her like that each chance he had.

Because, indeed, Draco completely forgot it at that moment. There wasn't a mudblood in front of him, but an ordinary girl who was painting. As if he felt empathy towards someone else beyond him for the first time, Draco perceived her joy in her eyes, and his only desire was to be just like her.

Basically, he hadn't never been really happy all his life, and if Josephine reached that level by merely  applying colors on a canvas, who knows in how many ways she could do it. Malfoy was envious of her.

During that morning, both were going to attend Care of Magical Creatures lesson. Their professor was Rubeus Hagrid, the gamekeeper and Keeper of Keys and Grounds of Hogwarts.

Josephine was his friend. She used to visit him at his little house next to the castle, and they ended up to laugh, dance and sing. Their special bond was born the first day of the first year because Hagrid's height impressed her. He was a big man, literally, a giant.

Josephine used to portrait his vegetable garden or his scarecrow with ravens, resting on it, while Hagrid was sat on the steps of his house as they chatted about this and that. She loved the stories he used to tell, especially the anecdotes about his father, who was smaller than him. They were in tune, felt good together and knew how to have fun.

"Hagrid, at last!" As soon as Josephine saw him, she ran and reached her arms to wrap them around his neck.

"Jo, I couldn't wait to see you funny face." Hagrid gave the hug back, before leaning back. He ruffled her hair.

"Perfect, now I look like an hedgehog." Josephine whimpered as she brushed her hair with her fingers, trying to fix it.

"Just as well, so my hair is the most beautiful." The giant jocked as he stroked his own long and ruffled hair. 

"Oh, I'm so jealous." She chuckled, then she smiled and came back to Theodore.

All the students were following Hagrid as they held in their hand a book with threatening eyes and teeth. It was firmly tied by a tight belt. 

"I read a lot of books, but these are creepier than Snape." Josephine said, causing Theodore to laugh.

"It's bigger than you." He teased her.