E l e v e n

"Aunt Maryam!" Josephine couldn't hold her joy for being back to her beloved home in the Muggle World.

As she crossed the threshold of the entrance, the scent of chocolate-marshmallows biscuits flooded her nose, and her eyes caught all the colored lights wrapped around the huge Christmas tree in the living room. She felt as if everything in this house was shouting 'Welcome back, now you're safe'. She was grown up within these walls, and every inch of it carried a memory.

If this wasn't happiness, she didn't know what it was.

Her childhood home was covered in pictures and flower pots, and it yelled 'life'. It was incredible how time stopped when she breathed the air fluttering in this place. It was something indescribable. Her lungs filled up with the love and the sweetness of being back home ran through her veins, especially on Christmas.

Christmas was her favourite feast - the moment of serenity shared with family and the dearest people. It was a chance to be a kid again, and what is it more beautiful than being an innocent kid who lives in color? This is Christmas.

Josephine had always wanted to spend Christmas with the people she loved most, but she could only spend the day after Christmas with Theodore and his father every year. They used to stay at their house for lunch and afternoon. Sometimes they stayed for dinner, too.

In addition to the scent of biscuits, the one of aunt Maryam's favourite flower kissed her nose - White Hibiscus. It means purity and inner lighting, the perfect description of her aunt.

Almost in each corner of this home there was white hibiscus, as well as other types of flowers and plants. Her aunt had a special passion for flowers, and it had been transeferred to Josephine, too. For her tenth birthday, Maryam gave her a book called 'The language of flowers', a sort of dictionary. If anyone asked her the meaning of a flower, Josephine would be able to answer correctly. She didn't remember all the meanings, but a large part.

"My love-" Aunt Maryam's soft voice, coming from the kitchen, cause a bright smile to grow on her lips. She stumbled in the living room and rushed to hug her nephew, tears pooled her eyes.

"I missed you so much." Josephine whispered, her face sunk into her aunt curly hair. Liquid happiness ran down her cheecks as she smiled - the sweet warmth of her body against hers.

"My baby, I was waiting for this day. I made your favourite cookies." The lady slowly broke their embrace and cupped her face, "How did you get more beautiful in only three months?" She kissed her forehead.

"Unlikely, auntie." Josephine chuckled, placing her palms on the spine of her aunt's hands.

"I'll take the cookies." Maryam winked and went back to the kitchen, hopping for joy. Despite she was almost fifty, she seemed to be Josephine's age.

The girl opened her cat's kannel so that he could get out and headed to its castle. Bizet perched on its spot, its paws resting on the edge, "How cute you are." She muttered tenderly, caressing it.

Lifting her head up, Josephine's gaze lingered on the Christmas objects resting on a white wood furniture. Her favourite one was the porcelain carillon. It was composed by a thick red base, where two kids with Santa Claus in the middle made by ceramic were put on the top of it. 

She still remembered that when she was a child, her aunt always scolded her for touching the carillon. It was so fragile that it could break easily. Especially in a careless kid's hands, especially if this kid was Josephine.

Maryam had already had experiences with her clumsiness. As a child, Josephine used to break a lot of things...This side of her never changed.

So Josephine wasn't allowed to handle the carillon on her own, only Maryam could touch it and move it. It was Maryam's grandmother Christmas present when she was six, four days before she died.

It was her treasure. 

The first time her aunt hold the carillon, her grandmother turned it on and started singing over the melody playing. She fell in love immediately, just like Josephine, when Maryam did the same thing with her.

Wherever you are, listen to me

I need you here because without you I'm lost.

And when the day'll come and the sun will rise

I will lose you

Because it's just a dream and when sunrise will occur

I will lose you

I think of you, watching the sky blue

Maybe you're dreaming too 

Wherever you are.

Josephine loved singing this song with her aunt, and the more years passed the more it got sadder and more touching.

"So, how's school, honey?" The lady asked as she walked out from the kitchen.

"Actually, I have something to tell you..." Josephine held back a smile, taking a seat at the table as Maryam appeared in the living room with a tray of cookies and a glass of pear juice - her favourite.

"Did Teddy profess his love, at last?" She slipped on the chair next to her.

"Stop it, we're best friends and it's not about him, anyway." Josephine grabbed a cookie and took a bite, "Oh God, yes - how I missed them." She moaned and rolled her eyes as she chewed slowly, enoying the taste.

Her aunt chuckled, "So, what is it?"

"Mh-" She finished chewing and took a sip of juice, "Do you remember Malfoy?"

"The blonde jerk?" She frowned as she thought of him bullying her nephew.

"He asked for a truce"

"He had the courage to ask for a truce after what he did?" Maryam raised her voice, "Pff, pathetic..." She huffed out as she lighted a cigarette.

"He got interested in my paintings many times-"

"Who doesn't? You have a gift, baby." Her knuckles stroke her cheek kindly.

"Auntie, seriously, it feels like I triggered something inside him."

"Well, yeah...he's thirteen, that's the normal age for-" Maryam gestured nervously, pointing to her lower area.

"Christopher Colombus, I didn't mean that...ew." Josephine wrinkled her nose in disgust, and looked away.

"Sorry, I won't interrupt again." She laughed, raising her hands before returning serious as she smoked.

"I mean, he's different. I don't know what caused him to change, but it's too weird."

"Wait-" Her aunt cut her off, raising her hand up to stop her talking, "Now tell me if you accepted the truce."

Josephine nodded, and she sighed heavily, pressing her spine against the chair, "What does Teddy say about this?"

"He fears that Malfoy acts like an idiot."

The lady nodded slowly as she looked at her, "You're not stupid, honey, and I trust you. But like Teddy doesn't trust him, neither do I. I kind of agree with your choice of giving him a second chance because I'm sure you won't let him get away with it." Her hands cupped her face,

"You're like me. I know you better than anyone else in the whole world. I have no kids, I don't know what it means have them, but even if I'm not your real mom, you are like a daughter to me. I raised you, I didn't teach you to turn your back on people. Like an mature woman, you're not doing it and I'm so proud of you for this. You're a good person, my love. Not everyone deserves you and we don't know this Malfoy's intentions. But you're smart, and you already know. Don't fall into his trap. Don't let him fool you. You are tough, you have the guts. Don't trust that bully so easily and don't feel bad if he keeps acting like an asshole. There are people who don't want to change and we can't do anything, but-"

"But, maybe, he's still in time to change." Josephine completed the sentence.

Her aunt smiled, "Exactly, Jo." Her hand stroked her hair, resting over her shoulder, "Give him this second chance, and let's see what will happen."