2. Shivering rain

Lucy's POV:

I'd had enough of this stupid house and this stupid family.

I really wish my mom was here.

"Lucy, I'm home!" Dad yelled loudly. So loud the whole little room shook.

I had been locked in the room underneath the stairs. Dad locked me out.

"I thought your brother told you to clean the house; no wonder you're locked down here," he spat. Well, father, it's kind of hard to clean when you're locked in a room.

I stood up, but he pushed me down and locked the door.

No, no, no, please.

I banged my hands against the rough wooden door, causing splinters to pierce my skin.

I cried loudly until I fell asleep.

The next morning I was out, and after I had cleaned and made food for both of them, I ran out on the street.

I couldn't stand that house anymore.

Too bad I don't have a key, and my dad and big brother only come home at 22.

LIZZIE'S POV:

"Oh my god, you're such a mom, Lizzie," Ashley complained loudly. I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up. You're just jealous that I'm taller than you and more grown-up than you, idiot!" She scoffed at my snarky statement.

It started to pour down like a whole waterfall, but my eyes landed on a very specific young girl sitting on a bench.

The shirt was sticking to her small body, her curls were bedraggled in the rain.

Lucy, the girl we met yesterday. I gently nudged Ashley, who pretended that it hurt, but I pointed at Lucy sitting in the rain freezing.

"Lucy?" She asked. It was apparently loud enough for the girl to hear; her head snapped up, and she gently waved to us.

We walked over to her, and I pulled off my coat, covering her small body.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her. She shrugged and looked at her feet. "How about we drive you home? It's freezing out here, and you have my coat." She shook her head, not much of a talker.

"I don't have an extra key," she somewhat mumbled. I frowned a little.

I opened my mouth to speak, but she beat me to it. "My dad's home late." I looked at Ash, who shrugged.

"Let's make a deal. You come home with me today, but you have to tell me about yourself." Come on, just say yes; it's a good offer.

"Okay, you don't have to talk about yourself; I just don't want you out here by yourself in the cold rain." Finally, she agreed and stood up.

Ashley wrapped her coat around her, too, due to the fact that the poor girl was freezing.

I turned on the heating while we drove. "Lucy, what was your mom's name? You told me she loved that book I was reading yesterday." Lucy stopped what she was doing and looked down at the floor.

"Haukea, she was Hawaiian." Was? What happened to her mom?

"Where's your mom now? Do you know that?" Come on Liz, don't push too far.

"Wouldn't know. She went missing in the Amazon Forest when I was four." I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that, nope, not it. Out of everywhere, she went missing in one of the biggest forests, if not the biggest.

"I'm sorry, hun." Ashley looked at me with a smirk plastered over her stupid face.

'Such a mom,' she mouthed. I really just wanted to give her a slap to the back of her head.

"I'm sorry, Elizabeth. I shouldn't have dropped this on you; I'm sorry." Wait, no, honey, we ain't going out there. You don't need to apologize.

"Don't apologize; you didn't do anything wrong; it's all alright." I smiled to her through the rearview mirror.

"Do you need more heat, hun?" She gently shook her head. After a good 30 minutes, I pulled up in my driveway.

Lucy had fallen asleep. I really hope she got enough sleep tonight.

I gently shook her awake, tapping her lightly.

She shot away from me, but quickly calmed down as she saw me. "Sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep, ma'am." She apologized once again.

I moved out of the way for her to get out of the car. Once she was out, I locked my car and went into my house.

It was rather small and not that decorated because I really just bought it because I needed to get out of my mom's house.

"Would you like a cup of hot chocolate or some tea, maybe some coffee?" She scrunched up her nose at the mention of coffee.

Ashley came down with some of my old clothes. I hope she can fit them; I was bigger and taller than her.

"I think maybe these will fit you. But if not, I think Liz has some of MK's clothes. I don't think you can fit Rose's clothes, though." Lucy gently nodded and got handed the clothes from Ashley.

She stood there while we started to prepare some hot water for coffee because Ashley is addicted to coffee.

"Oh wait, right, bathroom, follow me," I said with a gentle laugh, showing her to the bathroom.

Lucy's POV:

Elizabeth smiled as she showed me to the bathroom. "If you want, there's a shower over there, and I have an extra hairbrush somewhere," she explained to me.

I nodded and waited until she left. I started undressing, in the bathroom mirror, I noticed a quick glance at my body.

I was fat, and then I was black and purple on my thighs, arms, and stomach. Though, my arms were also red from new cuts.

I put on the clothing provided by Ashley. Honestly, I feel like Dobby from time to time.

The clothes were way too big for me, but it's better than nothing.

There was one problem though, the shirt was a t-shirt; they wouldn't cover my arms.

I hid the cuts by holding my arms close to my body, then I walked downstairs to Lizzie.

"Elizabeth?" I asked. She turned to me.