Chapter 89 - Family Drama (7)

Trigger Warning: Mention of suicide

"Valentina? Tell me. I'll believe anything you say. Promise."

Looking at his puppy dog eyes, she decided to partially tell the truth.

"I'm not saying this to garner any sympathy from you, but I really can't remember. I know I was gloomy and depressed before and honestly, quite a suck-up because I was craving love and affection from my family. Since I couldn't get such a thing, I tried to kill myself. Thankfully it failed but as a result, I lost my memories of my family and my past. Anything that I might have experienced with the Salazar family, who I was before, or anything I've done in the past is as unknown to me as it is to you."

"Valentina..." As he tried to speak, she held up her hand to stop him.

"I told you, I'm not saying it for sympathy. If you knew the past me, I hate to say it, but that person doesn't exist anymore. I'm a different person now and I've resolved myself to live without ever gaining my family's love much less acknowledgement. Since I am a person who doesn't deserve to be loved, I'm solely focused on my career now and I want to take it to the highest peak that I can. As for the Salazar family, I'll deal with that as they come. All I know is they don't want to acknowledge me as their daughter and only want Aaliyah. Since that's the case, we'll both do our own thing and minimize our interaction with each other."

She gave him a cryptic smile and Kaiser was momentarily silent as he didn't know what to say. despite the various ups and downs with his family and the disagreements he would have with his parents, he could undoubtedly say that they cared for him and his siblings. Hearing Valentina say such words about his family with a distant look on her face broke his heart.

Hearing that she had tried to take her own life, he didn't know whether he should wrap her in his arms or go on a rampage and destroy the family that would drive a young girl to such an extent.

"Anyway, that's that. I don't want to talk about it anymore. What happened after I passed out? And when can I leave? I'm sure they found nothing wrong with my body apart from slight anemia." Valentina immediately tried to change the subject, but he couldn't let her carry such a burden alone.

"Valentina." Kaiser dragged his chair even closer.

"Hmm?"

"I'm sorry once again for digging into you and forcing you to dig up unpleasant memories. And I know you don't want to speak about it, but saying you're not deserving of love is wrong. You can't choose the family you're born to, but you can definitely create one. I don't know how to comfort people, but I truly believe that everyone is deserving of love. Regardless of status, family, career, anything. Everyone deserves love including you."

"Both my birth and adopted family don't like me. I guess I really have the fate of a lone star." She gave a dark chuckle and Kaiser felt his heart crack a little more.

"You're not alone. Not anymore. After all, Luca loves you, clearly more than he likes me, the little traitor." Valentina rolled her eyes at his little fit of jealousy. "Roman likes you, Lia likes you. Even that bastard Rio likes you. Everyone you've worked with once you 'changed' likes you and even if you remember everything I'm sure they would still like you. You obviously know that I like you. A lot. Which is why I'm panicking and rushing and messing things up." At that he gently brought her fingers to his lips, gently kissing each finger and then her palm.