Part I: The General's Daughter

The night of her birth, a week before Christmas, had been traumatic for all those involved. The  Corso had became white and sparkly with the freshly fallen snow, not yet tainted by the bombs that would soon come. When they did, it prevented her mother from recieving access to any medical care. Her father, General Crassus Snow, was off fighting in the districts. There were complications in labor, and just moments after being placed on her mother's chest for the first time, it would prove to be the last time. She was left with a brother, the one who would later become President Coriolanus Snow of Panem, but to her was just Coryo, a cousin who was more like a sister, Tigris, and a grandmother who had just lost a husband, son and two daughter in laws in the war, who was not thrilled about having another life to worry about. 

Not long after, though she was a darling infant who brought joy to her brother and cousin, it would seem she brought yet another tragedy upon her family. Her father, whom she had only met once at her mother's funeral, decided to try to make it home again to see his children. But first, he had to take care of some things in District 12. This turned out to be bad timing, as he was killed by rebels there. Leaving all three of the Snow children orphaned, in the care of the grandmother who didn't even know how to turn on a stove. No income, no support, just a family name and legacy to protect.

Coriolanus Snow loved his sister dearly. Besides him, she was the last thing left of their mother. She had the same golden blond hair and brown doe eyes, and the same soft and sweet personality. Rosella Snow, though lovely on the outside, was full of guilt on the inside. She knew her mother died to give birth to her. She knew her grandmother resented having another mouth to feed. She knew she was the common factor in a lot of her family's troubles. She felt guilty for wearing Tigris' hand-me-downs when she could have used them to make new clothes. She felt guilty that Tigris had given up so much to raise her. But she mostly felt guilty for being a burden to her brother. He would never admit it, of course, but she noticed how he often avoided being seen with her in public or mention her in many conversations.

Though they were similar in many ways, Coriolanus and his sister were perceived much differently by the capitol's high society. While Coriolanus was known as classy, charismatic and intelligent, Rosella was known as a scheming seductress, with questionable morals and foolish ambitions. As a result Rosella had little in the way of friends and self esteem, and a tendency to almost always keep to herself, except for when it came to music. Though most of the students had ill opinions of Rosella, it was widely agreed upon that she had the best voice in the academy. She was pitch perfect, with an incredible range, powerful belting ability and exceptional vocal control. It seemed that the more hate she received and struggles she faced only made her music more passionate and more emotional. They may not have loved her, but they certainly loved her voice.

Author's note: A few warnings before proceeding: this story contains violence, profanity, mental health struggles, sexual assault, domestic violence, child abuse, disordered eating, suicide, death, depictions of war and other uncomfortable topics.