Chapter 39: The Safety Net

Rosella felt her cheeks flush and hair fall out of place as she bounced up and down to the beat of Avi's bass. She finished four glasses of the pink drink, and stopped mixing with the club soda by the third one. Pippa was at least three ahead of her, and it was starting to become obvious as she danced on the table. Most of the adults were upstairs having their own party, while the academy and university aged crowd was downstairs in the Hartford's private speakeasy. Rosella laughed as Pippa spun off of the table and landed next to her. Normally it would be a wild sight, but it was not out of place in the atmosphere.

"Hey, birthday girl," a voice said behind her.

"Nicholas!" She exclaimed happily.

Nick smiled and gave her a hug, then said something inaudible.

"I can't actually hear you!" Rosella shouted over the music, gesturing to her ears.

"Nick!" Pippa said suddenly. "I am so glad you came! You know, you are just such a great TA, and I'm just so happy you're here, and readyyyy to partyyyyy!" She sang loudly, causing Rosella to jump next to her. "You know, I still think you two would make," she waved her hand between them, "would be such a cute-" Rosella pinched her to stop her sentence. "Ow!"

"I think we should do a song!" She interrupted.

"What?" Pippa asked, but Rosella had already taken off towards the other bandmates, and took the center microphone.

*****

Coriolanus decided to retreat downstairs, where his sister was. It was late and most of the people he had intended to talk to had already said their goodbyes. But for every important government official that left the house, more school aged guests were showing up. He had no idea who most were or how his sister knew them.

Livia followed behind him, but he was not concerned with her. What he was concerned about was the loud screaming and questionable music blasting.

"Coryo..." Livia said, chasing him down the stairs. "Coryo, stop."

"What the hell," he mumbled, ignoring her.

"It's just a party, stop!"

"What is she thinking?" He went on.

Rosella was not really thinking in general. It was the first time she had been properly drunk and it showed as she spun around on stage. It reminded Coriolanus all too well of a certain place he used to visit in District Twelve. This was not the dignified society he had left that behind for.

"And I could see you... Up against the wall with me!" Rosella sang, dancing around the stage with Avi. Coriolanus saw red.

He marched up to the stage and snatched her by the arm before anyone could stop him. Most were too drunk to notice anyway.

"What did we just talk about?" He snapped at her.

"I don't know..." Rosella replied, nonchalant.

"Are you drunk?"

"No... Where's Tigris?" Rosella rubbed the space between her eyebrows and squinted.

"You are!"

"Why are you freaking out?"

"I've told you why!" Coriolanus shouted, stepping closer and pointing a finger to her chest.

"What are you guys talking about?" Pippa jumped into the conversation, smiling, unbothered.

"And just what is your problem? You prance around here, chugging sparkly, fizzy things, getting my sister drunk! With all your money, you should have more class than this!"

"I beg your pardon! This is not a council meeting, it is a party! She is seventeen years old now, and I happen to know very well you and that Creed kid were out getting drunk and hooking up with some girls in alleyways when you were sixteen. That is not what I would consider classy!" Pippa retorted, spinning and stomping away.

Coriolanus's eyes widened and he started to follow her, but was stopped by his sister.

"Stop! You are embarrassing yourself, and me, and it's my birthday! Just go home! I don't want you here!"

"Excuse me!" Coriolanus screamed.

"Hey," a voice interrupted. "She said she wants you to leave man," Nick stood in front of Rosella, blocking Coriolanus's access to her.

"Who is this?" Coriolanus asked, throwing his hands in the air, exasperated.

Livia attempted to deescalate once again. "Coryo, let's just go, please?"

"Stay out of this, Livia!"

"Seriously, just go home! We can talk about this later!" Rosella shouted, as more people in the room started to take notice of the scene.

"Ok, where's Tigris?" Livia asked. Coriolanus spun around quickly and moved towards her.

"Woah, woah, woah!" Rosella said, as Nick moved closer in front of her. Livia brought her hands to her face, turning away and running them through her hair.

Pippa reappeared, with two of her house's guards. "Get him out of here!"

The guards began to lead Coriolanus out of the basement, and Livia started to follow. "Liv, wait you don't have to," Rosella moved to follow her, but was stopped by Pippa.

"Just leave it," she said. "Don't let him ruin your night."

"I think we're a bit beyond that," Rosella's voice cracked and she ran off to the washroom.

*****

"Coryo, Coriolanus, stop, please," Livia followed behind Coriolanus as he walked out of the house to his car.

"Livia, just, stop! I can't deal with this right now!"

"When can you ever?" Livia asked.

"What?"

"Deal with me! It's always 'not now,' 'I'm busy,' 'leave me alone.' I'm supposed to be your girlfriend. You said you wanted to marry me. I never expected you to fall in love with me or anything but I don't even think you like me. No matter how hard I try," Livia's voice cracked, and she brought a hand to her mouth.

"I like you, fine, Livia," Coriolanus sighed.

"Oh, really? Name one thing you like!"

"Oh for the love of- ok fine! You're stable, I know you won't walk out on me or turn on me. And I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's nice to have someone to be able to count on-"

"So I'm your safety net? The back up choice?"

"No! I never said that!"

"Then what?"

"You're very smart. You're strategic and you know how to get what you want, which some people don't like but I do. I like your ambition. Because I'm the same way. You're supportive of my goals, and you're the kind of person I want by my side when I reach them. Not just because you're rich and have a good name, but I genuinely enjoy your company. And I like how you are with my family. Ro really likes you. And you're very pretty-" Livia interrupted him with a kiss. A real one, for the first time that wasn't just for show.

"Ro's going to be fine. She's a great girl and no one is going to think any less of you or your family because a seventeen year old had a few drinks. This is what teenagers do. You never got to because you were too busy holding your family together. Except for that time in an alleyway which I'd like to come back to. But  because of you, now she gets to let loose and have fun and enjoy her birthday. She deserves that." Coriolanus smiled at this.

"You're right," he said with a slight laugh.

"Yeah. I typically am."

Author's note: Hi everyone! I'm so sorry for the lack of updates. I've finally finished my exam season and have the next month off, so I'm hoping to get into regular updates again.

Also having whatever the opposite of writer's block is, I have so many ideas for this story and am having a hard time sorting them out lol! Feel free to make suggestions/requests for things you'd like to see happen in this story! Looking forward to reading them:)