Chapter 31: We Begin Again

Coriolanus pressed the finest espresso in his state of the art machine. The smell of boiled cabbage and lima beans, the smell of poverty, had long disappeared from the Snow household. His promise to himself that such things would never touch his lips again had succeeded. It would never happen. Not for him, not for Tigris, not for Rosella. Even his grandmother had not experienced it in her last months of life.

He was reminded of the day, now exactly one year ago, when he was in this very spot, boiling cabbage, stressing over what he would wear to the reaping ceremony. How things had changed. Never again would he have to worry about the quality of his shirt or the growling of his stomach. Still, he was worried. Surely his father had never expected to lose his wealth, nor had any Snow. He would ensure without a shadow of a doubt that the Snow family would never see such days again.

And to do that, he would need to use what was left of it. Tigris and Rosella. Panem loved them. Tigris's designs and Rosella's voice. Which meant they would love him by extension, as long as he kept them under his control. Like Dr. Gaul said.

Tigris was well. The Plinth's had helped her in obtaining her own fashion house, and it was already far more successful than Fabricia's, or any other in the capital. Especially with the help of her muse, Rosella. Unsurprisingly, she was successful as well, with her music. But above all else, she was still a student, and Coriolanus needed to ensure her academic success, as well as in the arts.

One thing he was grateful for was her newfound stability. She would almost be considered unfeeling, but she maintained a happy exterior. She would never lose her kindness and sweetness. But he was worried what the 11th Games would do to her. What if she was sent into a spiral again? He had convinced Dr. Gaul that she was still too young and fragile to be the face of the games, so she settled for making her a silent observer. Which meant no more articles, outbursts, or throwing up in Heavensbee Hall. He did not think it would be too difficult for her.

"You're going to be okay at the ceremony today?" He asked her. Her and Tigris sat at the table while he sipped his coffee from fine china.

"Do I have a choice?" She asked. She was dressed beautifully, in a primrose pink dress. The skirt reached past her knees, and the neckline came above her collarbones, and the short, slightly puffed sleeves were tailored perfectly above her elbows. Her golden blond curls had grown out slightly since her spontaneous chopping, and were styled elegantly in loose waves. She looked like a princess. A beautiful, purebread, capitol princess.

Coriolanus smiled, and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "You'll be fine." She nodded, and placed her hand over his. Tigris did not look up from her sketches. "What do you think?" He extended his arms to show off the suit she had designed for him.

"It's perfect. You both look perfect. I'm sorry I can't be there," she smiled. Though her shop was closed for shopping, she would be working hard in her new role as a stylist for the upcoming games.

Cass, the avox maid, entered and signed something to Rosella.

"Ma and Strabo are waiting for us," she stood up, and her and Coriolanus took the elevator down to the ground floor, where the Plinth's awaited them with their car.

"You two look lovely," Mrs. Plinth beamed. Mr. Plinth smiled and nodded curtly, and the four got into the car.

"It's hard to believe it's been a whole year since we were doing this with Sejanus," Mrs. Plinth smiled sadly and Mr. Plinth nodded again.

"I'm so sorry..." Rosella said softly.

"If we can be of any comfort..." Coriolanus added.

"You've both done enough. Sejanus would be proud, with how you're treating the tributes, building the center and the new arena. I wish he could see it."