Chapter 12: Let The Games Begin

Rosella Snow sat with her hands clenched together under her chin, shaking her knee up and down. Livia remained next to her and they were joined by Palmyra Monty, mentor of District 1's Valvereen, who was shot trying to escape the arena, along with Livia's tribute. Although Livia hadn't said much more regarding personal feelings, she had elected to be seen next to Rosella, despite her reputation. It still spoke volumes to Rosella in regards to their newfound respect for one and other. Even when her friends from the band showed up, who were not typically in Livia's crowd, she didn't move. She even spoke with them when Rosella wasn't there.

And she was often on the move. She had paced the room three times and ran to the washroom twice within the first minutes of being there after her talk with Livia. She was especially upset when someone announced the death of Hy, the male tribute from District 5. Yet another the veterinarian was unable to save.

"It's almost like zoo animals and human beings have different medical needs," she grumbled in response to the news.

"What was that?" Palmyra asked politely.

"Oh nothing," Rosella replied with a fake smile. "Just... feeling the anticipation!"

Students watched the screens as Lucky Flickerman started with some pre-game interviews with the seven mentors whose tributes had participated in the first interviews. Rosella smiled when Coriolanus spoke about Lucy Gray, feeling proud of her brother.

Dean Highbottom spoke next, about how eye opening the mentor tribute program was, and that it helped them to "know their enemy."

"But surely, you're not comparing our children to theirs?" asked Lucky. "One look tells you ours are a superior breed."                   

"One look tells you ours have had more food, nicer clothing, and better dental care," said Dean Highbottom. "Assuming anything more, a physical, mental, or especially a moral superiority, would be a mistake. That sort of hubris almost finished us off in the war."

Rosella leaned over to whisper to Avi. "That has got to be the most intelligent thing that man has ever said."

"And the most sober thing," Avi replied with a smirk.

Rosella smiled back. "Never thought I'd agree with something that came out of his mouth... How is he the same man that came up with these games?"

Avi shrugged. "Maybe he had help?" Rosella raised her eyebrows and nodded in agreement at the possibility.

After hearing a small commotion in the hall, Rosella saw Coriolanus enter with Lysistrata Vickers. She ran up to him and gave him a hug.

"Hey, what's going on," Coriolanus smiled. "I just saw you."

"I just wanted a hug," she mumbled into his chest. He hugged her close.

"Hi, Rosie," Lysistrata said. Along with Clemensia, Lysistrata had to be Rosella's favorite of Coriolanus' friends.

"Hi Lyssie," she replied, turning her face to her while maintaining her hug with Coriolanus. "How are you?"

"I don't know. Not great," Lysistrata said.

"Glad to see someone's not celebrating this."

"Ro..." Coriolanus said, as if to quiet her. He turned to pull her to his side and under his arm. "She's been a little upset over the whole thing," he explained to Lysistrata.

"Oh don't worry..." Lysistrara's voice dropped to a whisper. "I am too. I couldn't sleep last night, thinking about sitting through this. I know it's to punish the districts, but haven't we punished them enough? How long do we have to keep dragging the war out?"