Chapter 38: Only Seventeen

Rosella Snow's birthday was decided to be the event of the season. Pippa insisted on hosting at the Hartford manor, as it was the largest venue. Pippa's mother planned the menu and catering from their staff and her sisters were in charge of decorations, table linens and centerpieces. Coriolanus decided anyone who was anyone would be in attendance. Tigris crafted multiple dress options for the birthday girl, and selected the perfect one. Avi and his parents planned the music. The Plinth's organized all of the gifts and who would give what.

To Rosella's surprise, it was Livia who stepped in and asked what she wanted to do for the day, and the two decided they would go horseback riding while everyone else was busy with preparations. Of course she appreciated the amount of effort and thought her friends and family were putting into the celebration, but it was slightly overwhelming.

She wondered what it would be like if her mother had survived her birth. What would she think of her children? She would love Coriolanus of course, she had already known him and loved him. But she only spent a few moments with her. There was no telling if she would have the same affection towards her daughter. Tigris and Coriolanus often told her she would. Her father certainly would not. Her grandmother had insinuated on many occasions that her father blamed her for his wife's death. She never knew him either, so she would never know. It was strange being surrounded by people who knew her parents so well, when she never knew a thing.

The morning she turned seventeen, Tigris had made her favorite pancakes again and Coriolanus presented her with his gift to start off the day, as they had both done the year before, a pair of diamond earrings that matched the necklace.

When Livia arrived, she greeted Tigris and Rosella warmly, but barely acknowledged Coriolanus. It was not uncommon, their relationship only seemed to exist for public events. Rosella could not imagine it was a particular enjoyable relationship, but she knew better than to question her brother's antics.

"So... How are things with my brother?" Rosella asked Livia, who was driving them to the stables.

"He's well..." Livia laughed. "I assume that hasn't changed since we just saw him."

"I meant between you two... you're like, his girlfriend now, no?"

"Your brother... doesn't seem to have an interest in labels. It's more of a mutual understanding between two families that we'll be married in the interest of combining out assets."

"What assets?"

"My money and Coriolanus's presidency."

"How do you feel about that?"

"It doesn't matter how I feel. I wasn't given a choice."

"Livia..."

"It's fine. I don't think I'll ever be in love with Coriolanus, but I am fond of him. I respect him, and..."

"You deserve love too Livia..." Rosella said softly. Livia did not say anything more until they arrived at the barn.

*****

Back at the penthouse, Coriolanus was not thinking of Livia or any romantic intentions. He reviewed his sister's travel plans meticulously. She was right, she had done so much, planning, organizing and contacting the allies she would need. She was smart, smarter than Sejanus with his crazy ideas. It enraged him. She was this smart, but she would die in a heartbeat to stop the games. She would likely be happy to do so. Not like Sejanus, who clearly regretted his actions at his execution. He needed to make her understand that he was in control. He could never allow any harm to his sister. He needed her. He loved her. As much as he loved being in power.

*****

After her ride, Rosella went to Pippa's to prepare for the real festivities. Tigris had designed a beautiful pale pink dress that sparkled subtly like the snow, ruched bodice, delicate thin straps, and a full skirt that reached just above her knees.