Chapter 37: Plotting

The school year went on and so did Rosella's plans. She had been in communication with the commander's of each district, many of whom were connected with her father and were fine with her ideas, though they did not have any interest in participating. Some of the stricter districts, such as 10 and 11, were more hesitant, but when the Hartford's got involved, no one resisted.

While her alliance with the Hartford family took care of the legal aspects, the Bock, Duxemberg and Langford families were happy to help as well. Alister and Gemma Bock made a significant donation for food and rations. The Duxemberg's donated medical supplies and an educational program through the university that would send medical students for the exposure. The Langford's also donated a large sum for food and rations, and agreed to send reporters and publish Rosella's work.

What Rosella felt was most heartwarming was an idea from Celia Hartford, Pippa's mother. She thought it would be helpful to donate life sustaining supplies, such as sewing machines for District 8 and farming tractors for District 11. Things that could help people earn their own money and sustain themselves even without the Peace Corps presence.

The last step was to convince her brother of the idea. Tigris had known from the beginning, of course, and regretted the fact that her talent for fashion would be of no help, but supported her cousin nonetheless. Rosella did not think it would be helpful to tell her brother that almost everything was set in motion, but it was hard to deny. She decided to throw all of the credit to Mitch Duxemberg, since he would be going for medical school purposes and his parents were playing a huge role. She was happy to have someone else take the credit, she knew herself to be the real mastermind and that was enough. But the longer she waited to tell Coriolanus, the worse it would be, as he would know she had been keeping it from him, and the more he would try to stop her.

With him in his room, likely trying to sleep after just finishing his fall semester at the university, she decided it was as good a time as any. She took a deep breath, knocked on the door, and marched in without waiting for a response.

"I need to talk to you," she announced.

"Jeez! Ro," Coriolanus dropped the book he had been reading. "You scared me. What's up?" Rosella stayed silent, unsure how to start the conversation. "Rosella... what's going on?"

"You've really made me into something great... Everything I am I owe to you..." She started.

"That's not-"

"But I'm so tired of being the thing that's made. Of people always putting labels on me and expecting me to play a certain part and fill a pre determined role. The general's daughter, the mentor's sister... someday the president's sister. I want to be the... somebody. I don't want to be the thing that gets made by someone else's idea of who I should be..."

"Ro... what are you talking about?" Coriolanus asked.

"I know that won't make sense to you. You've always been your own person. No one's ever had to tell you what to do, and you've known who you are from a very young age. Probably since our father died, I would guess..." Rosella shrugged, and began to fiddle with the bed's comforter.

Coriolanus leaned in closer to his sister, and took her hand away from the fabric. "Tell me what's going on."

"I did something... and you're not going to like it," Rosella decided she could not possibly lie to her brother. She never had lied to him, now that she thought about it. She would have to be honest. It was not like Mitch wanted the credit anyway, he thought Coriolanus might target him for it.

"What is it?" Coriolanus pressed on.

Rosella took a shaky breath. "I have a good team. Good friends, really good, powerful allies. I put a lot of thought into things, and planning and I really think I can pull it off... I'm arranging humanitarian missions to the districts. I want to make a difference, and I really think I can. I'm almost seventeen and I feel like I've done nothing of use. I've always wanted to travel and by doing this I could be anything. I can write articles about the stuff I see, I could learn to be a nurse or a medic, I could teach kids, I'd get so much inspiration for my music and writing... I can figure out exactly who it is I want to be. I know you think I'm throwing away my future here, but it'll only be for short periods of time, two weeks, tops. It'll look great on any application, people would love me for doing it... And I just feel like I've worked really hard, and I've put myself through hell, and I finally feel like I'm back together again... Like I've made it. I really want to do this. It was my idea, my plans, my work, my goals and I need to be a part of it."

Coriolanus said nothing. He fixed his eyes on his sister's hand in his.

"Coryo?"

"You're right."

"I am?" Rosella questioned, confused.

"But I'm going with you."

*****

Coriolanus's mind was reeling from Rosella's confession. All of these plans she had been working on must have been going on for some time, and he never knew a thing. He was shocked she would keep a secret like that. But then again, he was hardly around anymore, and when he was, he only talked about university, classes, Dr. Gaul, his work. He stayed away from topics like the Hunger Games and the districts around his sister, knowing she could snap at any moment.

His sister had never been outside the capitol, and she certainly was never meant to be. She was far too delicate and gentle for that world. But she seemed insistent she could handle it. She had put the whole thing together, afterall. She must have had some sort of strength to do that.

Then he thought about her comments about how it would look good on applications and to the public. She was right of course. No one, not even the capitol, would think poorly of someone who was an avid humanitarian. It might just win him his rightful place as the President of Panem.

But what was on his mind most of all was Sejanus. All of her talk reminded him far too much of his fallen friend. Especially when she said she might learn to be a medic and make a real difference, as she had put it. Those were practically Sejanus's exact words. And look where it got him. The Hanging Tree.

No, he clearly had no hope of talking her out of the whole thing, so the only thing he could do was go with her. There was no way he could allow her to end up like Sejanus, or any of the other self proclaimed rebel. Rosella was no rebel of course, but she could certainly say some questionable things. Things that may cause people to doubt who her alliance is.

Me, he thought. The only person she has an unconditional alliance to is me. It was time he repaid her, for all the hell he put her through. He would have to do this for her. He needed to prove her loyalty was not misplaced, and that it was returned.

Still, above all else, he was angry. She was making everything so much more complicated, and now he would have to go to clean up after her. More than anything, he wished his sister could be a normal Capitol citizen. It was the only way he could guarantee her safety.

"Why would you want to come with me?" Rosella raised her eyebrow, startled.

"It's dangerous out there. And since I can't talk you out of it, the only thing I can do is be there to protect you."

"I have the military, Coryo, I don't need you to come guard me. I've been in contact with all of the peacekeeping divisions and they've all agreed to it. Besides, I don't think the districts are going to be upset with me for trying to help them..."

"You don't know what they're capable of..." Coriolanus mumbled. "Either way, you're right about it looking good. It might just make me president if people think of me as some sort of savior." Rosella grinned at this. "Besides, can't let you be the only one."

"If you want to come, we'd love to have you."

"I'll be there then. When do we leave?"

"Winter break, right after Christmas."

Author's note: While rewatching the Hunger Games movies, I noticed in the first one Snow tells Seneca Crane he had been to the districts. We know he traveled through them by train, and obviously spent a lot of time in 12, but through Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, we know he hadn't until that point. Soooo, I figured he needed more exposure:) (maybe this time he will grow a heart!!)

P.S. Sooo sorry it's been so long since the last update! School has been so crazy and I always feel guilty when I'm writing stories instead of studying, and nursing school has been INTENSE lol. Thank you all for reading:)