Chapter 7: A Spark Returns

I will fight for it, Rosella thought.

After seeing Clemensia and checking on a sleeping Coriolanus, Rosella headed to the academy. It was the day of the Ring's twin's funeral, and she would be singing again. Before she made her way up the steps, Mitch ran out.

"Ro! He's here! Wren... he's helping with the orchestra. He's in the music room." He said frantically.

Rosella was silent for a moment. "Fine. But I'm the soloist today."

"Well yes of course you are... but are you sure you're okay? We can get him to leave. Avi's ready to knock him out now."

"Just... don't let him near me." Rosella said. "C'mon. We've gotta warm up." She smiled slightly, and linked her arm through Mitch's.

Upon entering the music room, her breath caught slightly at the sight of Wren Adler, front and centre. Taking a breath, she walked in as she always would.

She remembered all too well how it used to feel when she was under his control. The way he'd slammed her against the wall and gripped her wrists. People watched it happen, and didn't say anything so she figured it must be normal. She couldn't even remember what had led to it. She was probably talking to a bandmate or some other boy. Someone who'd made him jealous. He whispered through clenched teeth that she was never to do it again. That she was his and only his. And then he took her to the best restaurant in the Corso and told her she was the most beautiful girl in the world. And despite her bruised wrists and fear of him getting too close, she felt when things were good between them, everything else would become good. How stupid she had been.

It wasn't your fault. You were a child. She reminded herself of her brother's words.

"Rosella," Wren greeted cooly. "How lovely to see you again."

"Don't talk to me, Adler. I'm here for Apollo and Diana. Nothing more."

"Don't talk to you?" Wren said under his breath. "You're the one who had a nervous breakdown in front of the entire school and ruined everything we had... everything I gave you!"

"You gave me nothing!" Rosella snapped back. "Everything I have is because of me and only me!"

"Oh yeah? And what are you left with, huh? Starving in that empty old apartment with your grandmother and brother? Clinging on to the last shred of the Snow dynasty? How's that going for you?"

"Wren, I am orphaned, I'm dirt broke, I have a terrible reputation, I've disappointed my family... and I would still choose all of it over and over again- I would choose worse. Then to ever, ever be anything like you. Or have anything to do with you for that matter. I don't want you. And despite your best efforts to convince me otherwise, I don't need you."

The few people in the music room, Rosella's friends and bandmates, were shocked at the confrontation. Rosella had never spoken to anyone in such a manner. Normally, they would interrupt to defend her, but now, she didn't seem to need it.

"How dare you speak to me that way. After everything I've done for you. After everything you did to me!" Wren exclaimed.

"The only thing I ever did to you was outdo you. A younger, poorer, girl, did what you spent your whole life failing at in minutes. And I'm great at it. I won't apologize for it. I won't apologize for being more than your muse or your back up vocals. Because I am so much more. I'm the somebody. My own somebody. Now leave. We don't need you here."

Wren stood in shock until Avi approached him, causing him to leave the music room. He was known for throwing a punch or two when it was necessary.

"Rosella Snow!" Mitch beamed. "Look at you!"

"When did you get so tough?" Avi smirked.

Rosella shrugged. "It was time!"

"Yeah, about time!" Scott added. "We're so proud of you Ro Ro!" He said, hugging her and lifting her into the air.

Rosella smiled. "Okay, we can talk about it more later. We actually need to warm up! I am about to give this city a funeral national anthem like they've never seen!"

*****

Despite it being a sad day for both Rosella and Coriolanus, as they had grown up with the Ring twins, Rosella couldn't help but feel proud of her success. Her and Tigris accompanied Coriolanus home after his discharge from the hospital. On the drive, she spoke up.

"I saw Wren today," she said casually.

Tigris gasped.

"What?!" Coriolanus exclaimed through his hoarse voice.

"It was actually pretty good," Rosella replied.

"WHAT?!" Coriolanus asked louder.

"Don't tell me you're back together!" Tigris said.

"No!" Rosella laughed. "He was in the music room, thinking we needed help with the orchestra or something... and I very politely told him that we would be just fine without him."

"You should have decked him!" Tigris said.

"What was he thinking? Showing up at the academy of all places. He knew you would be doing the anthem again. Or at least a part of the music." Coriolanus said.

"I really don't know... all I know is I feel free from him. Like I can actually start to heal from everything... like you said Tigris."

"Ro! That's great news!" Tigris exclaimed.

"And for the record, I wasn't actually polite to him. I told him he was a failure and he would never amount to the musical genius," she smiled and flipped her hair, "of the Rosella Snow."

"So true!" Tigris beamed.

    Coriolanus put his arm around her and hugged her tight. "I'm so proud of you Ro,"

    "Me too," Tigris said, joining the hug.

    "Well, if I'm going to save the world, I figured I'd start with getting rid of its trash." Rosella smirked for the first time in a while. A spark had returned to her eyes.