Chapter 1: Trip To The Zoo

"My mother died in childbirth and my father shortly after. It's just me, Tigris, my grandmother and my little sister. " Coriolanus said. He had returned to the zoo that night after his first meeting with Lucy Gray. He felt drawn to her. He wanted to talk to her more.

"Little sister? You haven't mentioned her yet. What's her name?" Lucy Gray asked.

"Rosella." Coriolanus responded.

"Fitting for your family," Lucy Gray smiled. "What's she like?"

"She's sweet... and soft. She's a lot like Tigris, but shyer. She looks like my mom. People say she's like her too. I feel bad... she's had some hard times. She's kind of invisible at home. I hope she knows how much I love her... I think she feels like I want to hide her... like I'm embarrassed of her. But I just wanna keep her safe." Coriolanus explained.

"She knows. That you love her, I mean," Lucy Gray responded.

"How do you know?" Coriolanus asked.

"I've never even seen this girl... but the way you talk about her, just to me... she knows,"

"Yeah..."

"I'd like to meet her." Lucy Gray said. "Maybe you could bring her by the zoo?"

"Uh, yeah she doesn't really go out much... but maybe," Coriolanus responded.

"Coriolanus. If you don't want her feeling like you're keeping her hidden, at least ask her. Don't try to shield her from the world forever.

"Yeah, I will," Coriolanus smiled. "She likes to sing too, you know. She's good. They say she has the best voice at the academy."

"Well now I've gotta meet her," Lucy Gray smiled back.

Coriolanus chuckled. "You know, I'm the one supposed to be helping you, Lucy Gray."

"You are. More than you know."

*****

"Hi Ro," Coriolanus said softly, opening his sister's door.

"Coryo... are you just getting home now? It's so late..." Rosella asked.

"Don't worry about that," He responded gently, taking a seat next to her on the bed.

"You've been gone a lot lately," Rosella commented.

"I know... I'm sorry. I've been missing you," Coriolanus smiled, wrapping an arm around his sister. "The tribute I'm mentoring for the games, I was wondering if you wanted to come with me to see her tomorrow?"

Rosella's face lit up. "Really? Sure!" She responded.

"Great. We can head over after school," he smiled and pulled her into a hug. "Good night Ro, I love you," he said, and kissed her forehead.

"Love you too," Rosella hugged him back.

*****

"Miss Snow," Coriolanus smiled and held out his arm for his sister. She took his arm and he leaned down to kiss her cheek.

"Coryo," she smiled back. "Is it alright if we stop at the music room... I have to grab some sheet music..."

"Yeah, of course," Coriolanus replied, though he wasn't thrilled with the idea. He didn't like most of his sister's friends. Not since what happened with the last boy she was involved with, the boy she sang with. He also didn't like the fact that her few friends were male. It did not help the promiscuity rumors.

Coriolnaus kept his sister as close as possible while they walked through the hall of the academy, as though being in close proximity would protect her from the rumors. However, their closeness did not stop Felix Ravinstil from approaching.